Upgrade this MicroATX i5 3.5GHz/GeForce GTX 1650 or start from scratch? Budget £1k

Soldato
First off, I'm not a serious gamer. My obsession when I was younger was CS, and COVID got me back into CSGO and then venturing into others like the Metro series, BF and RDR2. In 2020 I upgraded an old build with a new GTX 1650 SUPER (and case to fit it in :p) and nice 144Hz monitor and that has kept me playing occasionally... but mostly CSGO.

Now winter is coming and I'm feeling a little flush, I'd like to play a few of the other games on higher settings and without taking a performance hit. Case in point, I just grabbed Dirt Rally 2.0 on sale and thought that looks lovely on high settings (thanks Youtubers), but I'd never be able to play it like that. Also thinking I might finally start GTA5...

So, vague budget is ~£1,000. Preferably less. Current spec is below.

Windows 10 64bit
Intel i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Gigabyte H97N-WiFi motherboard
RAM TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER
Antec VP450P 450W '80 Plus' Continuous Power Supply
1x SSD for OS, 1x SSD for games, 1x spinning disk for media
Thermaltake Versa H15 Micro ATX Gaming Case
AOC Gaming 24G2U 24" 1920x1080 IPS 144Hz Gaming Monitor

Bear in mind I've been out of the build game for a while, so to build/upgrade myself wouldn't be a day of slapping everything together, I'd need to pore over Youtube to remind myself how to seat a cpu, install an OS etc. (e.g. I know nothing about NVMe) :o I'm certainly more time-poor than money-poor at this point, so the idea of bunging OcUK a cool £1k to ship me something pre-built is very tempting indeed...

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Something like that?
Thanks Tetras I was just looking at the pre-built systems and thinking there's probably no need for me to spend £1,000! I understand new GPUs are coming soon, none of this is urgent so would I see a price decrease before Christmas? (Guessing not).

Also, I just realised I should be able to upgrade from Win10 for free right? I can only find my WinXP disc currently :p.. not sure what my upgrade path was there but I will have a hunt tomorrow.

Not having the disc is no issue, you can just download a USB creator from Microsoft, but the activation process is... complicated. I'd recommend having a good read on the best way to tackle that because Microsoft are nowhere near as forgiving as they were before the Windows 7/8.1 key upgrade deactivation.
Found my Win8 disc, I guess I upgraded to Win10 from that. Specifically what I have is this; Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD - OEM (WN7-00614). This is where I veer into the stupid question territory.. How does one install Windows without bothering to buy a DVD drive? :p And obviously, I'll need to look into if I can get that upgraded to Win11. And if I can use that installer on what is essentially a new build? :confused:
Definitely start new rather upgrade here, think you've come to the end of the upgrade path! Still will be a decent back up pc or Htpc server or something though
Thanks. Funny you should say that as my my upgrade as mentioned in the OP was from a lovely little Lian Li PC-Q03 Mini ITX case which I've failed to get rid of. I'd love to turn that into a mini server, looks like the mobo does onboard graphics etc. I'd just be worried about power consumption?

Back
Top Bottom