Upgrade Threadripper cooler

Associate
Hi,
I currently have a Corsair H80i V2 AIO cooler on my Threadripper 1950x and want to upgrade to increase my overclock.

Could anyone recommend a good model to upgrade, I ideally would like a 3 rad cooler but wondering if it will fit in my case, probably have to settle for a 2 fan/rad model.

My mobo is an Asus X399-A in a Crosair Obsidian 750 D case.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info! - excuse my lack of knowledge but would the 280 mm be the better of the two. Since I aleayhave the H80i I guess I have the right bracket also?

Associate
OP
I would not suggest one to someone I like

I'd written off the Enermax despite the size of the plate.

the Alphacool looks good, but it would be just to big for my case (with cd drive bay in it)

Looks like the H115i is leading the pack.

Associate
OP
should be able to build yourself a mini custom loop cheaply these days
I'm not that experienced to build a custom loop.
I'm assuming the threadripper isn't overclocked with an H80i cooling it?
It is - to 3.7ghz. The H80i keeps it just under 68 degrees when the ambient is mid/low but it suffers during the summer.

I've got two GTX 1080 gpus in the case and I've just turned the fans on to a continuous 50% (at default they would be off and kick in at about 50 degrees I think) and that's made a difference the case as a whole - particularly my Samsung EVO SSD

I'm not a gamer and the GPUs are for Davinci Resolve so they are not running hot at all.

Associate
OP
Update on the cooler:

I got the H155i Platinum and to be honest I'm not seeing the improvement I'd hoped for.

Temps are still hovering around 68c and for some heavy renders hitting 70. The longer the CPU is stressed it does start to go down slightly to around 66. Now summer is starting here and ambient temps are increasing I don't see that getting better.

I'm starting to think something miight be astray in my overclock settings, I'm overclocking to 3.7ghz and the CPU core voltage is set to 1.225.

But in Windows looking at CPUID HWMonitor CPU Vcore is 1.243 and goes to 1.26 under load. (The BIOS reports a CPU Core Voltage of 1.213v)

Is this something to do with the Load Line Calibration? It's set to Auto

It's a minefield of information on the net, but I read somewhere that Auto mode over volts the CPU.

I also read that playing around with LLC without really knowing what you're doing can send high voltage spikes that might damage your CPU - I'm definitely in that category.

Don't know if it's worth mentioning that my BIOS is quite old - (about 6 versions old, haven't updated it since I bought it)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Associate
OP
It's on top as an exhaust, didn't put it onthefront as HDD and Blu-Ray drive bays would have been in the way.

Coolant temp is 22.20 on idle and gets up to about 26 under load.

How much difference did moving yours make?

Associate
OP
my 1920x was getting up to around 82 degrees

i guess that was the tDie temp ,without the offset?

my peak temperatures to 70 degrees. These temperatures are a bit unrealistic as prime 95 small FFT seems to really cook this processor, encoding and other benchmarks are around 10 degrees lower.

60 would be be a great temp to aim for as this machine is going to be rendering 24/7 - I see a few conflicting opnions which confuses the issue - some say 68 tDie (95 with the offset) is the max and throttling will set in and CPU lifespan is potentially reduced.

It would be great to get some more out of this CPU if poss, with current set up don't know if I could make it to 3.975GHz / 1.325V though ;)

Associate
OP
My system does also have both a Vega 56 and GTX 780 in it too which adds a fair bit of heat.

Similar with mine - I have 2 x GTX 1080 which did heat up the case as the fans were off a lot of the time - setting GPU fans to run at 50 % helped a lot

Back
Top Bottom