Upgrade time?? - but those Watt calculators seem overkill?

Associate
So - i recently upgraded my rig to 5900x and been running a 3090FE for last year and i like to overclock, landing a 20,000 timespy score recently

I have had my trusty Corsair AX860i PSU for the last 9 years and thought it was still going strong. So recently i have ran in to some oddities and i am starting to think its my PSU. Today i started getting random power downs under full load. I pulled all the modular cables out, ran self test a few times, cleared my CMOS, took all my overclocks off etc etc... and it randomly all went back to normal- put all the OCs back and still... normal.

So i am thinking my PSU maybe end of its life - so when researching new PSUs the calculators are telling me i need a 1000W.

So i started logging power draw through intensive applications and i top out with 580W power out 620W power in. So am not right in still thinking 850W PSU is still plenty?

I mean a 5900x is a 100 watt part, plus 400W for the 3090 and then 100w for all the rest of the crap sounds about right? I am struggling to see why 1000w+ PSUs are trying to become the norm again?

I dont plan to SLI my 3090 any time soon and i am already running 4 SSDs a bunch of fans and RGB.

Back
Top Bottom