• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgraded cpu = lower fps?

Associate
OP
Thats a good idea you have of a steady 5Ghz. Did you disbale turboboost in the bios and then set your multiplier to 50 then it stays like that? My full load freq is now 5.1Ghz, it was 49 before I think. My vcore full load is 1.4ish. Im thinking if i do what you did then losing that 100hz might be enough to lower my temps to usable levels. The funny thing is my left leg is cold beside the pc, its a corsair air 540 case sitting flat and the air comes out all around it. Ive just got 3 crappy 120mm fans installed.

Having boost enabled might be better though for things like photoshop, video editing or audio work though.

Was playing apex legends for about an hour, the max cps temp was 83c. The max the cpu goes to now is 5.4ghz, and its doing that a lot just like when i tinkered with c-states in the bios. Also played assassins creed for a short while and the cpu isnt anywhere near maxed and temps were about 60-67. I googled cpu heavy games and that was the only one ive got installed.

So now im wondering when will the cpu, in real world usage, be under a full load .. ermm..

I can put another fan on to the cpu heatsink ive got another bequiet one from my last cooler I can put on.

Associate
OP
It's why I don't like Turbo boost. I saw mine hit the 1.4 vcore area once when it hit 5.3. That was when I decided to disable it and keep it at 5Ghz between 1.25 - 1.3. Idle vcore is about 0.68, idles between 25 - 28C and max all cores 72 - 75C. Gaming ranges 45 - 65C.

I've found once above 5GHz requires a lot of voltage for each 100MHz.

After a good tinker ive found the exact same thing as you. At 5ghz theres much nicer vcore at around 3.3, 3.35 max with no spikes. Like you said I tried adding on 100mhz and sure enough the voltage spikes were crazy at even 100mhz more, spiking at 1.447. ALso my temps at 5ghz are the same as yours around 65 under load.

V F

V F

Soldato
Thats a good idea you have of a steady 5Ghz. Did you disbale turboboost in the bios and then set your multiplier to 50 then it stays like that? My full load freq is now 5.1Ghz, it was 49 before I think. My vcore full load is 1.4ish. Im thinking if i do what you did then losing that 100hz might be enough to lower my temps to usable levels.

Yeah, I disabled it completely. Set multiplier to 50, can't remember what vcore entry I used on this Gigabyte board... Think it was "Adaptive Vcore" with Internal CPU Vcore offset. -0.04 I think. Ring Ratio was set to 45. Then gradually increasing vcore until the WHEA errors went away with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility "Benchmark" as I was under voltage. Started off at 1.200. I think I ended up at 1.240. Upped the Load-Line by one bar, think there is 6 - 8 in total on this board.

All c-states are still on.

I don't trust Turbo Core as it'll over-volt for what it thinks it needs for those big boosts. I settled for 5Ghz for lower rpm fans, around 800rpm for the 3 fans on the AIO, less heat and quieter gaming since I use open air headphones.

Back
Top Bottom