Upgraded Home Network 2.5Gb for £130

Associate
I wanted an upgrade between my computer and Synology NAS device.

Found a TP Link TL-SH1005 2.5gbps switch from China £80
2x USB 2.5gbps adapters (R8152 compatible with Synology) - £50

Be careful which USB port you connect to, some on my X370 board were only negotiating 1gbps.

So my computer and Synology connect to the switch which then connects to my main router.

EDIT: Now I don't even use the switch, so £50 cost total. I use the USB <> USB | Main computer and NAS direct cable connection.
Then use the native port on my NAS to my main router for all the other devices.
When your computer has two network adapters, Remember to set the adapter interface metric priority (lower is higher priority) so Internet requests don't try to go through the USB adapter and hang.

Driver for DSM7

image.png

image.png

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi mate,
what drives are you running in your pc and synology?
looking at doing something similar

Really you can do 2.5gbps for £50 with just two of them USB3.0 adapters. Don't really need the switch.

Use the USB <> USB on your main computer and NAS for the quick transfers, assign one IP address on the NAS, set up a share on the main PC direct to it.
Then for other devices just use the Gigabit port on the NAS into your router on a different IP.

I use RAID10 on my NAS for quicker reads and writes. I believe it is the recommended RAID for 4 drives. I have just Western Digital blues and it maxes out the 2.5 Gbps fine. More than 2.5Gbps you would need SSDs so it is perfect for my set up.

When set up like this without the swtich, I also had to make my computers motherboard 1Gbps network adapter the priority metric. As before websites would hang trying to reach them through the USB 2.5gbps adapter.

1Gbps main network adapter - metric 50
2.5 Gbps adapter - metric 100.
Lower metric the greater the priority. So Internet requests work as normal.

image.png

This the driver for my Synology NAS which works perfect with that adapter pictured.

Back
Top Bottom