Upgrades Ok?

Associate
Hello all, just wondering if you could help with my upgrades :p

currently im running a Neo2 platinum, 1gb (2x512) crucial ballstix (200mhz 2.2.2.5), amd64 3200 and a 6800gt. all at stock.

i wasnt intending to upgrade my GPU just yet, so i was looking at upgrading the CPU and RAM as these dont require a new MOBO.

ive just bought an AMD 4000. mainly because its top of the range single core stuff for bargain basement price.

and as for the ram i wanted some OCZ 2GB PC3200 (MY-057-OC). but thats not deal of the week any more.
so as this stuff is deal of the week: G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 (MY-007-GS), and has the same specs, i was going to get that instead.

should the above be fine with my motherboard?

im not into overclocking so the ram should run at nice tight timings which the AMDs like, right?

Thanks for any help :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response.

I did attempt overclocking once, but it just proved unstable. I may give it another go with the 4000 though. will the gskill stuff overclock in line with the CPU?? (nothing major, maybe 10% or somthing?)

although after reading about how much ram vista will need and its support of the DDR2 stuff, im half tempted to wait. however, im guessing ill upgrade to vista late 2007 (if its any good), so by then im sure my system will need a complete overhaul anyway :p haha

Associate
OP
I'm also in need of more storage space.

I was looking at the 250gb+ drives. I assume the ones with 16mb cache are better than ones with 8mb, and Sata2 drives are more future proof that sata drives. right?

going to get either:
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-046-WD)
or
Seagate Barracude 7200.9 NCQ 300GB ST3300622AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-066-SE)

I have a 160gb Seagate at the moment and its been faultless so far. I know of 3 people with maxtors that have all failed so I'm avoiding them. The other brands dont have 16mb caches at drive sizes that i want.
Whats WDs track record like?

Oh and I've just seen some pics of the Coolermaster 110. B-e-a-utiful... Anyone know somewhere that may have some stock left??

Back
Top Bottom