• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading AMD Ryzen 2700x to 5950x - cooling

Associate
I'm thinking of upgrading my 2700x with a second hand 5950x, it seems to be a quick/cheap way to improve compiling performance for now without needing to replace my (x470 Taichi Ultimate) motherboard etc. I think in the future I'll go with a bigger AM5 upgrade, but the current chips don't seem worth the cost considering what I have already.

I'm not sure about cooling though, currently I'm using the stock 2700x cooler. My questions:

1. Would that stock cooler be enough?
2. If not, what would be a good choice? I'd like an air cooler that fits in my Fractal Define R6 case, is quiet/silent, and ideally one I can re-use if I upgrade to an AM5 chip in the future.
3. Anything else you think I'm missing?

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:
I'm not sure about cooling though, currently I'm using the stock 2700x cooler. My questions:

1. Would that stock cooler be enough?
Yes, if you have good airflow then you can cool these CPUs with a prism, though it'll run hot.

2. If not, what would be a good choice? I'd like an air cooler that fits in my Fractal Define R6 case, is quiet/silent, and ideally one I can re-use if I upgrade to an AM5 chip in the future.
My basket at OcUK:

Total: £95.88 (includes delivery: £3.99)​

3. Anything else you think I'm missing?
Don't forget to update your BIOS before you install the new CPU, especially if you don't have USB flashback available.

it seems to be a quick/cheap way to improve compiling performance for now
Is this definitely fully multithreaded? If it isn't, I'd get the 5700X instead.

Thanks that's really helpful, appreciate the help!

Yea, I'm compiling Chromium, and while there are differences with how I'm doing it I found this benchmark Gamers Nexus put out while I was looking into the 9950x. That's what got me thinking the 5950x might be a good option.

Vnh6gRr.png

I've got a 5950x running under a Thermalright Assassin King (£17), but it does get to around 80 degrees and a bit noisy on full load.
If you don't mind spending £30-40 I'd definitely go for one of the 2 Thermalrigt coolers Tetras has listed (they're basically twice the size of mine so will handle it easily!).
Happy to run a bench or two for you if it helps make the decision, as long as they're free and pretty easy to set up :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom