• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading CPU....which one though?

Associate
Hello,

I currently have a gtx 970, 12gb ram and running an i5 4440 @ 3.10 ghz. Playing 1080p games on a TV.

So I have been advised to next upgrade the CPU and been suggested the Ryzon but which model? I am trying to be on a budget so are there any other alternatives etc like i7? Or do I simply invest on a new graphics card....

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just to be clear Im currently using ddr3 rams, also, I don't really need to get a new motherboard do I? My apologies if I seem abit clueless

Associate
OP
What's the problem you're trying to solve? Are you unhappy with the frame rates / settings at 1080p, or wanting to game at higher res?

I ask because a GTX970 is still pretty capable for some casual 1080p TV gaming, but if you're now wanting to game at 4K / AAA titles max detail, that changes the solution.

I'm tempted to say don't bother upgrading if you can't answer that question; you say someone advised you to upgrade? Maybe find a second hand CPU (presumably a 4770?) that will do 4GHz to drop into the motherboard?
Yed i should have explained, i iust want more framerates at the 1080 whilst having high settings. You hit the nail on the head.

Associate
OP
I do play new games, been on Kingdom come deliverence for example, also would be hoping to play RE3 remake etc. I am realistic, im not expecting all maxed out at 60fps just wanting a better increase than what im currently getting.

Back
Top Bottom