Upgrading for Video Editing. Am I on the right forum?

Associate
Most enquiries here relate to gaming, but I guess that this is also the place to go for a video editing upgrade.
I use my desktop computer for general home use and video-editing using Blackmagic Davinci Resolve (Free edition). The free edition renders using the cpu rather than the gpu.

My current computer which is 8 year old has the following spec:

P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K @3.4GHz processor

16GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 800 MHz Memory

AMD Radeon RX480 Video Card

Chillblast Basic 700W PSU

Cooler Master Elite 334U Case

250 GB SSD

2 x 2TB Hard Drives

I wish to upgrade this at minimal expense, mainly to improve the video editing performance, and want to stay with Intel. My budget is about £350 to £400.

A local dealer suggested this spec:

Does this sound reasonable and within my budget?

Intel H410 Chipset Motherboard

Intel core i5-10400F Processor

16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

250GB M.2 NVME SSD

Noel

Soldato
Welcome aboard.

Time to change PSU first.
Wouldn't trust such years old China brand PSUs even if use as case exhaust in outdated case hadn't been accelerating electrolytic capacitor wear through increased temperature.

Something like this Bitfenix would be good for such non-gaming PC.
Bitfenix Formula Series 450W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply= £59.99
Though Seasonic Core is now in discount.
Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 650W 80+ Gold Power Supply= £57.95

Also except for some discounts those quarter TB drives have horrible GB price compared to half TB drives.

Associate
OP
If you are not in a rush then wait a few weeks and see if the non 'K' Alderlake cpu's and B660 boards release.
With not even thinking about upgrading for years, I am totally out of touch with current motherboards and CPUs. I was unaware of the Alderlake release until you mentioned it. I think that the release coincides with CES 22 next week. This seems to be worth waiting for. The big difficulty might be deciding which one to go for. I see that Custom PC has done some features so I will swot that up. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Don
I5 8400/500 or maybe look at used hp proliant workstations.

Bad advice imo, unless they are dirt cheap, as they are still only a 6 core/6 thread part.

If looking at second hand, then a Ryzen 2700 would likely be the way to go - it has 8 cores / 16 threads, and for a decently multithreaded load like video encoding, would destroy the 8400 or 8500.

Soldato
Bad advice imo, unless they are dirt cheap, as they are still only a 6 core/6 thread part.

If looking at second hand, then a Ryzen 2700 would likely be the way to go - it has 8 cores / 16 threads, and for a decently multithreaded load like video encoding, would destroy the 8400 or 8500.

Bad reading IMO. OP is looking to build almost a full Intel system for £300-400.

Maybe you intended to quote the OP

Soldato
Nope I wanted to quote you and your bad advice.

Op just needs CPU/mobo/ram and maybe a new psu, a used Ryzen 2700 or similar bundle is the best way to achieve the most performance for video encoding.

Then you should have quoted the OP. You need to convince them of your good advice.

8400/500 would beat most new Intel setup’s in this price range. So maybe you shouldn’t offer any advice.

Back
Top Bottom