• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrading from 5600X to 5700X3D not really worth it?

Soldato
Was contemplating this upgrade for my LAN rig but, from what I can tell, it's not really worth it.

Benchmarks seem to suggest a reasonable uplift in average FPS and particularly 1% lows but this is obviously in ideal conditions at 1080p with low graphics settings to make the game in question as CPU-bound as possible.

When running with more realistic settings (1440p in my case), the margins seem to be much smaller.

Thoughts?

Soldato
OP
What graphics card and which games? Some games show much bigger differences than others, even at higher resolutions. Racing and simulation games, or MMOs are the main ones that benefit, from what I've seen, which can even apply at 4K in some circumstances.

Original 3080 10G.

Not much cutting edge stuff tbh, loads of ancient LAN-fodder that's easy to run like L4D2 plus some more recent stuff like Dead Island 2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, BL3, F1 '23, Dying Light 2

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I saw pretty big uplift going from a 3700X to a 5800X3D on a 4070 with Dying Light 2, the non super version being a tiny bit slower than the 3080.

For the sake of £200, then whatever you rake back from selling your current CPU? I'd say it's a decent choice to eke out another few years on AM4 before having to upgrade. You should be able to get another GPU upgrade out of the platform down the line tbh, at least to something around 4090 levels of performance or perhaps a bit faster.

Interesting thanks.

This is my ITX LAN rig which is only used for LAN events and weekends at friends etc so AM4 should do me for a good while yet as I'm only running 1440p and don't mind turning the settings down a bit if necessary.

Soldato
OP
My main rig is AM5. Down the road, when I upgrade that to a Zen 5 CPU, it may make sense to recycle the CPU into the LAN rig with a new mobo/mem but that'll be next year at the earliest.

Back
Top Bottom