Upgrading from a 2008 i7 920 - new build sanity check

Associate
Can I go far wrong with the following components?
I'll be using my existing power supply (almost 10 years old) BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W with the build. Is this a mistake?
I also have a 980 Ti G1.

Ryzen 5 1600
NZXT Kraken X62 cooler
ASUS ROG Strix B350 mainboard
Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz 2 x 8GB
Thermaltake Core P5 case

Soldato
Looks like a nice build.

I'll be using my existing power supply (almost 10 years old) BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 850W with the build. Is this a mistake?
Some people will probably tell you it is for the sake of telling you it is, but in reality it's not going to be any more likely to fail than it was last month.

Don

At 10 years old then it has been value for money, but you should be looking for a new unit on a risk basis (e.g. for the cost of a new PSU, you remove the risk of damaging several hundred pounds worth of new kit, should it eventually expire).

A newer unit is likely to be more efficient, and given your requirements personally think a 650W or so would be sufficient.

Associate
OP
Guys I have an updated shopping cart on this.

Ryzen 1600X and to re-use my Noctua D14 (I'm replacing the fans with Corsair AF120's)
16GB Corsair 3200MHz
Corsair RM650x power supply
Corsair 400c case
Xonar DGX sound card (is this needed?)

So that just leaves mobo but I'm struggling to pick one to be honest.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Xonar DGX sound card (is this needed?)
Are you using speakers or headphones?
For speakers separate sound cards don't have anything over modern integrated.
(assuming integrated doesn't suffer from interference)
For headphone gaming separate sound card is good...
Just not because of most headphones needing some super high output voltage or high current.
But for binaural-simulation which takes 5.1/surround sound and mimics directly in signal how human hears in 3D with just two ears.
(despite of big name Dolby Headphone of Xonars isn't best)

but in reality it's not going to be any more likely to fail than it was last month.
Actually if PSU is always kept connected to wall/powered especially old cheap capacitor PSUs have lot higher chance for 5 V standby to go haywire after being disconnected.
After some booting attempts/"warming up" it can start working enough for PC to boot.

Associate
At 10 years old then it has been value for money, but you should be looking for a new unit on a risk basis (e.g. for the cost of a new PSU, you remove the risk of damaging several hundred pounds worth of new kit, should it eventually expire).

A newer unit is likely to be more efficient, and given your requirements personally think a 650W or so would be sufficient.

this^^^^^^ your psu is the heart - Just me, not keen on corsair psu, ( depends who's building it ) Supaflower are good so are seasonic! And air is better than water, less noise, less worry!

Associate
OP
No I can't see signs to be honest but I don't know what to look for really.

None of the pins are bent etc.

If it posts then I'm all OK, I have 3 years warranty so would imagine if anything is going to go wrong it would do before then.

Associate
My bits arrived today, is it normal for the ASUS mobo to be unsealed both box and static bag? Majority of components were ordered through here

When you say unsealed I think you mean that there were no seals holding the box or bag closed? Rather than the motherboard not being in the bag?
If so, yes, this is typical of modern motherboard packaging for most SKUs out there. There are no seals on the box or the anti static bag inside the box. The only things that tend to be sealed in bags in those boxes are pack-in stuff like SATA cables for example. I think you're good to go.

Now if the board wasn't in the bag, that would be bad.

Please replace your power supply. You've been lucky to get a decade out of it. It is old and tired and it is a risk to the rest of your components. Purchase a new, efficient, reliable power supply and protect your investment in those new parts.

I ran a Corsair HX850 from 2010 to 2016 and when I replaced my entire machine I said "It's time for you to retire" and that was that. I sold it to somebody who was more of a risk taker than me, and got a new unit.

10 years is a long time for a power supply. In one machine I built (on a budget), a Corsair CX600 V1 died after 3 years, on another an EVGA 500B (I know, I know. I sinned.) died after 3 years as well. And it died the dangerous way, throwing out wacky voltages that were way out of spec rather than actually dying. Thank goodness I caught it and replaced it.
PS

Please use a surge suppressor such as a power strip that has this feature. It's a good idea to have another surge suppressor in your electrical panel in your home. If your surge suppressor works with CAT5/5E/6 etc as well as coaxial that's a bonus. Surges can come along your ethernet cable.

Great PSU options:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-03j-ea.html
EVGA SuperNova G3 850W (if you want to SLI maybe someday?)

Or a more affordable 650W model:

Superflower Leadex 2 650W
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-05b-sf.html

These are both very good PSUs

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When you say unsealed I think you mean that there were no seals holding the box or bag closed? Rather than the motherboard not being in the bag?
If so, yes, this is typical of modern motherboard packaging for most SKUs out there. There are no seals on the box or the anti static bag inside the box. The only things that tend to be sealed in bags in those boxes are pack-in stuff like SATA cables for example. I think you're good to go.

Now if the board wasn't in the bag, that would be bad.

Please replace your power supply. You've been lucky to get a decade out of it. It is old and tired and it is a risk to the rest of your components. Purchase a new, efficient, reliable power supply and protect your investment in those new parts.

I ran a Corsair HX850 from 2010 to 2016 and when I replaced my entire machine I said "It's time for you to retire" and that was that. I sold it to somebody who was more of a risk taker than me, and got a new unit.

10 years is a long time for a power supply. In one machine I built (on a budget), a Corsair CX600 V1 died after 3 years, on another an EVGA 500B (I know, I know. I sinned.) died after 3 years as well. And it died the dangerous way, throwing out wacky voltages that were way out of spec rather than actually dying. Thank goodness I caught it and replaced it.
PS

Please use a surge suppressor such as a power strip that has this feature. It's a good idea to have another surge suppressor in your electrical panel in your home. If your surge suppressor works with CAT5/5E/6 etc as well as coaxial that's a bonus. Surges can come along your ethernet cable.

Great PSU options:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/evga...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-03j-ea.html
EVGA SuperNova G3 850W (if you want to SLI maybe someday?)

Or a more affordable 650W model:

Superflower Leadex 2 650W
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-05b-sf.html

These are both very good PSUs

Thanks for taking the time to put that together mate.

I went for the Corsair RM650x in the end.
qWEvScp.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom