Upgrading from an '03 Rover 25. Got 6-7k to spend

Associate
The Rover at 800 quid was my first car and has done me well but I feel like I'm well overdue an upgrade.

I have 6-7k to spend but can stretch that for something special. I'm not looking to start a family or anything soon and would like something that's a pleasure to drive and doesn't take an hour to do 0-60 but in saying that I also can't get a coupé because I'm designated driver a lot of the time. I also like the idea of a slightly bigger car just to mix it up from the Rover but I know my budget constrains me there. I take the bus to/from work so it's largely a weekend car with the odd short journey during the week.

I'm fairly ignorant about cars so I'm trusting the good judgement of OcUK! Based on my needs, is it worth getting a 2011/2012 modest car or going older and getting something "fancier"? Any particular models spring to mind? Might be worth noting that I'm in Belfast for insurance/availability reasons.

Associate
OP
Do you just want a moderately nice car with moderate go...i.e say 130bhp plus? If so there's loads of choice.

Essentially!

I don't drink so the designated driver duty is frequent enough to warrant a 5 door unless I'm losing out on getting a better 3 door.

8 grand on a Mondeo might be silly but I made my knowledge of cars clear in the OP ;) I'm all ears on alternatives

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies. The 5 door thing is absolutely a secondary consideration but it is a convenience thing when picking/dropping people and if I'm not losing out elsewhere on the car then I would prefer it.

Some great options there - will have a look round and see. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom