Upgrading GPU from a 5700XT - Thoughts?

Associate
Title pretty much sums it up.

I've been looking at making some upgrades and I've come to the conclusion that my GPU is probably the weak link in my current build (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Most games I end up having to change settings to some odd combination of high/medium/low depending on what FPS I can bare to play with, but most games will experience some type of FPS drops and stuttering even at medium/lower settings. Very rarely do I go above 80 FPS consistently in most games. Usually I have to settle for something between 40-60 FPS if I want a game to still look nice.

Budget is probably around the £600 mark, but I could try to push myself to maybe around £800 if performance was a massive step up for the added price and would truly last another 3-5 years minimum.

Open to any suggestions!

If you need any added details about my current specs, let me know.

Overview of my current specs is below:
  • GPU: 5700XT
  • CPU: 3700X
  • MOBO: B450M Mortar Max
  • PSU: Corsair RM650
  • RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz
  • Case: Kolink Citadel Micro-ATX (Listed just incase size is an issue)
  • Monitors: 1x 1440p 27" and 1x 1080 24"

Associate
OP
Appreciate the quick response.

Any recommendations on a particular 6800XT to aim for or avoid?

I've seen some others really hype up a 5800X3D before elsewhere. Performance is really that good? I'll definitely add it to my list for the future for sure if so.

Man of Honour
I've seen some others really hype up a 5800X3D before elsewhere. Performance is really that good? I'll definitely add it to my list for the future for sure if so.
it's the best CPU for gaming on the AM4 platform
still competes decently with AM5 and raptor lake without the need to spend £££ on a whole-platform upgrade

Man of Honour
Most games I end up having to change settings to some odd combination of high/medium/low depending on what FPS I can bare to play with, but most games will experience some type of FPS drops and stuttering even at medium/lower settings. Very rarely do I go above 80 FPS consistently in most games. Usually I have to settle for something between 40-60 FPS if I want a game to still look nice.

Which games? 5700 XT isn't a great card for 1440p anymore, but it should still be decently playable in everything except for the latest games. From what you're saying, you want to be in the 100+ range, in which case I'd just dump your entire budget (+excess) on a 7900 XT (article which includes 5700 XT in the results).

Associate
OP
Which games? 5700 XT isn't a great card for 1440p anymore, but it should still be decently playable in everything except for the latest games. From what you're saying, you want to be in the 100+ range, in which case I'd just dump your entire budget (+excess) on a 7900 XT (article which includes 5700 XT in the results).

Honestly most games I've been playing recently. Diablo 4, Satisfactory, WoW etc. Different range of games, obviously some perform better than others. All are definitely playable, but it'd be nice to have high settings with a stable FPS. You're right though, looking to be in the 100+ range for a while.

I've seen comments elsewhere about power draw on the 7900XT, is that something I should really worry about or is 650W enough?

Back
Top Bottom