Upgrading my iBook - Help!

Soldato
Hey guys!

I am planning to max out my 12" iBook, by putting in a 1GB stick of Ram and a 100GB HDD.

Few questions:

Will any 1GB PC2700 SODIMM work?

Will a 7200 2.5" HDD be much of an improvment over a 5400?

Will the tiger OS X disc I have be able to install a clean blank install on a clean blank drive?

Thanks in Advance!

Rich

Probalby, though you'd do well to go through the compatability matrix on the crucial website.

It'll be noticable.

Shouldn't have any trouble.

You're quite welcome :D

Doug said:
Probalby, though you'd do well to go through the compatability matrix on the crucial website.

It'll be noticable.

Shouldn't have any trouble.

You're quite welcome :D

Cool Thanks for your help Doug!

I was just wondering if any Laptop HDD or Ram would do, as crucial is a tad expensive!

Rich

There are different types of so-dimm ram, some have different amounts of pins, 100 144 or 200. 7.2k Will be an improvement at windows loading times and file transfers but other than that you probably wont notice a big difference if you dont game.

Last edited:
Energize said:
Will be an improvement at windows loading times and file transfers but other than that you probably wont notice a big difference if you dont game.
Really? Pray tell how you put windows on an iBook? :P

More memory can make a massive difference in Mac OSX, especially if you have a low amount right now.

* Will a 7200 2.5" HDD be much of an improvment over a 5400?
Yes, if you do any sort of hard-drive bound work (video editing, etc)

* Will the tiger OS X disc I have be able to install a clean blank install on a clean blank drive?
Should be able to, yes. The HD isn't checked on an install. Just boot from the CD and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom