Upgrading parts

Associate
Hey all.

I'm currently on an i5 570, geforce 470.

I have three options (I think):-

Upgrade gpu to a 680 or maybe whatever else is out in the next couple of months.

Upgrade cpu, motherboard and ram to ivybridge (i5 3570k) and overclock. Prebundled OCUK bundle most likely.

Or both :D.

The second option is probably pointless, considering it's for gaming. I'm interested in mmos mainly, swtor, gw2, possibly Tera. I like everything on full and looking nice at 1920x1080.

It may be pointless as well to upgrade my cpu? Sure my current cpu could bottleneck a new gpu but overclocking will sort that?

I'm also thinking a new case since this case is from '05 and I want something neat and sleek. I don't like these cases brimming with LEDs, therefore I am thinking perhaps the corsair 500R, 550D, or fractal R3 (from my reading of the forums). I also add I like quietness :D, so maybe some extra quiet fans to go in/replace what's in there.

I think my current PSU will be okay, can't remember the brand, possibly corsair, but it's a good brand and I think it's 600+ watts. I can always check when I can be bothered!

Thank you!

Associate
OP
Whoops, 760 ;).

It's a bundle I bought from OCUK nearly two years ago. Problem is it gets too hot if overclocked (it has a monster heatsink on it), which is probably due to the rubbish airflow in my case (no fans), messy wiring etc. Partly why I'd like a new case too, to improve that.

Soldato
Sounds like a new case and a new GPU would be a good upgrade. You may also want to get a nice fan controller panel (like this one) so you can tune the airflow and noise of the case fans.

Even at stock speeds the 2.8GHz i5 760 will handle pretty much all modern games very well, and when overclocked to ~4GHz it will have little trouble with anything and won't bottleneck even a top-end graphics card. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend sinking money into a new CPU/mobo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Which case would be good then? Also any recommended fans to swap in ( or if the case doesn't come with them). Black, sleek and not too big are my only requirements.

Back
Top Bottom