Upgrading soundbar, worth upgrading TV at same time?

Soldato
I currently have a 55" LG B7V and Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar. It's in a 6x6m living room and I mainly stream TV and movies via AppleTV with some small amounts of gaming and sports.

The Yamaha is starting to get more frustrating so I'm looking to upgrade to the Samsung Q990C. I don't really need to change my TV right now but if there's special offers on...

TV wise it is between the 65" LG C3 and Samsung S90C. Would have the TV and soundbar the same brand help in any significant way with audio sync? Even between apps on the Apple TV I seem to have different sync issues - think it is the audio format disagreeing with the Yamaha. I was edging towards the LG but the Samsung would be £200 cheaper and it being the same brand in case there's any additional integration benefits.

Are these upgrades worth it? Will I notice a difference?

And the real one for debate - C3 or S90C?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why not add a decent speakers ;)

In a couple of years you'll have the same issues with new soundbar. With that system when the AVR goes out of date (will probably take 15 years so upgrading is a must by then) then just change the AVR
Don't you need to run wires everywhere? I don't need to do that with a soundbar. I don't want to have to hide speaker wire under carpet or round door frames. I used to have a more basic 5.1 system (certainly wasn't >£1k) but the wires really made things awkward. I'm not an audiophile so the soundbar was a good fix. Mainly to get better sound than the TV speakers.

Due to the way the wiring is done for my TV (through the wall), I tend to feed the source directly into the soundbar and then run the HDMI up to the TV from there. This will only fall over if I got more serious with gaming and needed higher refresh rate than the non-2.1 HDMI ports the soundbar will allow.

Although have I have drawers full of blu-rays, I haven't switched on the PS4 for agesss - just end up streaming instead. Previously had the Fire Stick 4K Max and now moved to Apple TV 4K.

Back
Top Bottom