Upgrading to 4090/7800X3D

Associate
I have been lucky enough to come in to a bit of money and after a lot of deliberation i've decided to upgrade for the last time in hopefully a very long time. I have my eyes on a 4090 and 7800X3D as i already have a 4k/144Hz monitor (Acer Nitro XV3) and will be using my rig solely for gaming plus YouTube/Spotify.

I normally only keep up to speed with current gen GPU performance but i don't have much of a clue about CPU's/MOBO's, RAM etc.

The parts i'll be keeping from my current rig are:

Corsair Carbide 275R case
Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SSD
6 x Corsair ML120 RGB fans
Dark Rock Pro 4 air cooler

I think my basket is looking ok but i am open to suggestions. Cannot decide on a mobo at all as i'm unsure if it's worth getting an X670E for futureproofing even if i don't need the features right now or should be happy enough to get a B650E.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,524.96 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Any advice is hugely appreciated as it is a lot of money to spend just to end up with the unoptimal parts!

£420 (incl. VAT)
£390 (incl. VAT)
FREE DELIVERY
£150 (incl. VAT)
£125 (incl. VAT)
£1,950 (incl. VAT)
£1,830 (incl. VAT)
Cannot decide on a mobo at all as i'm unsure if it's worth getting an X670E for futureproofing even if i don't need the features right now or should be happy enough to get a B650E.
The Tuf A620-Pro (£150ish) is honestly enough for almost everyone, but the main thing is: how much PCI-E 5.0 do you want (e.g. you could get the Tuf B650-Plus which has 1x PCI-E 5.0 M.2 slot, but PCI-E 4.0 graphics) and how many M.2 slots do you want. If you want 4 M.2 slots, especially if you want 2x PCI-E 5.0, then X670E is the board for you. If you don't plan to use any other PCI-E slots and don't care about USB4, then you can just get one of the cheaper ones.

Other things to consider: sound quality and jacks (including spdif), number of USB ports and their speed (especially USB Type-C), RGB and pump headers and speed of the LAN/wireless. If you want e.g. 10Gb LAN and USB4, your wallet will not thank you.

Looks good although have you looked at the 4080ti-super thing? Apparently it’s faster for less money.

The memory is a little slow, but at that price it’s not a bad choice at all.

I would also be waiting for the Super's to launch as £1800 on a graphics card is insane let alone one which may not be as good as a new one that is going to be much cheaper. You could easily save £40-50 on the psu by going for a different brand that is just as good. RGB on the psu is pointless especially when it's going in a case where you can't see it.

I would also be waiting for the Super's to launch as £1800 on a graphics card is insane let alone one which may not be as good as a new one that is going to be much cheaper. You could easily save £40-50 on the psu by going for a different brand that is just as good. RGB on the psu is pointless especially when it's going in a case where you can't see it.
Ah good point about the PSU i'll look for another one. I read that some PSU's come with a specific connector for the 4090? Is that due to all the ones that went up in flames?

You are probably right about the 4080 supers, might be worth biding my time and seeing how they perform. Are the rumours about a 4090 super still just rumours at the moment?

Personally, even if you have the money available to splurge, I still think it would be better to sit back and look at areas where you can save, especially for a system where its heaviest load will be Gaming.

For me, you can future proof without needing to go the X670E route by looking at a good B650E Mobo, you can find ones on offer, as an example I got the ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFI for £250, 2 x PCIe 5.0 x16 Slots, 4 x M.2 Slots (2 are PCIe 5.0) so you'll be set for future gen, it's pretty much a X670E board other than in name, it also comes with a digital de-bug code read-out for troubleshooting.

RAM, again I think you can save money while also getting better DIMMS, for me I'd look at the Lexar Ares 32gb kit which is a 6400mhz CL32 kit with both EXPO and XMP support, it's a good-looking kit with RGB and you can pick it up for around £110.

PSU/Power supply, I think you've went total overkill, for something that is most likely going to be hidden away, why not just go for a Corsair RM1000 80+ Gold or an equivalent? you'll be saving yourself at least £60.

Everything else, well I guess it's all preference and what you want, but I would check that your case can hold a 4090.

If it was me, personally, I think I'd look at saving nearly a £1000 and go for a 4080 Super or 7900XTX then look at going for a 1440p 240hz OLED monitor and anything left over upgrade my keyboard / mouse, but that's just me.

Last edited:
4080 Super will not be faster than a 4090. If you want the best of the best, get the 4090. If you want to drop a little in performance (~15%) but save a good amount of cash (over £500), get the 4080 Super when it releases instead.

PSU is also overkill. Could save some cash there, also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom