Upgrading? Yes - but to what...?

Associate
First of all - apologies for what will be a rambling upgrade post and thanks for anyone who can struggle through it and offer advice ;)

At the moment I have the following setup...
AMD Athlon XP2400
ASUS A7V333
Radeon 9700 non-pro
512Mb RAM

...which has performed very well over the past couple of years and still runs games like HL2, WoW and Rome Total War at acceptable detail/framerates. However, I suspect that recent releases such as Oblivion will be beyond its' capabilities - so maybe it's time to invest in an upgrade.

Mind you, technology has moved on a pace since my last upgrade - then, the only choices were 9700 or 9800 for graphics and how fast you wanted your Athlon XP to be (...in a minute I'll say "Aye, and I remember when this were all fields tha knows"!) Hence the request for advice.

So - question one - is there any real point in just buying a faster AGP graphics card? Will there be a significant increase in performance that will allow any semblance of playability for Oblivion etc..?

If not - then question two is how should I spend my money (ideally £400-£500) on some new gizmos to drag me kicking and screaming into, if not 2006, then at least 2005. :p

As ever - all help, suggestions and opinions are gratefully received...

Cheers

TC

Associate
Go for AMD again and if you not doing much different on new rig then you were on old just got for a top end 64bit, more memory and a upgraded G/Card (some good ones on special).

Will see a big improvment in speed and will handle newer games a lot better.

Also cheap to upgrade to.

Soldato
I think if i were you i'd drop a 6800gs or something in it and make do for another year or so.
Several reasons:
-£500 is probably sempron teritory, which isn't a great upgrade if your building a new system
-Loads of new tech about to emerge, and we may see some significant performance leaps
-You don't seem to have a problem playing the games you want to play and a graphics upgrade might be enough to keep it playing what you want for a time.

Could also do with a small ram upgrade.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input guys - greatly appreciated :)

Seems like it could be the 6800GS upgrade ***! Is there any difference worth mentioning between the XFX and OcUK cards (apart from a fiver in the price that is?)

Thanks again

TC

Permabanned
I would advise

Abit KN8 motherboard (Socket 939) (£70)
1GB Memory (£64)
Athlon 3500 (£100)
Nvidia 7800 GT (£194)

That will give you good upgrade paths for the future.

Sell your old parts for auction and maybe you can up the above specs if you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom