Uploading to iOS Photos

Associate
Is there a way, with iOS as I only have an iPad and iPhone, that I can upload the photos from my NAS to Photos and retain any metadata so that they don’t all say they were taken the day they were uploaded?

I have tried to copy them to Photos via the Share menu but then they lose any metadata.

The reason for this? I have been backing up to Synology Moments to have a physical copy in my possession and to avoid paying for more iCloud storage, however I sometimes find that the Synology Moments app isn’t the quickest and, whilst I will still backup to it, I am thinking of putting the photos back into iCloud to access them more easily (and I accept that I’ll have to pay a few pennies for more storage!).

Associate
Are you sure that it's losing metadata, or is it that you're making the same mistake I did in assuming that Apple's photos app would be logical? :)

So I discovered that if you look at 'Albums > Recents' it'll show the photos by date of upload. If you go to 'Library > All Photos' it'll actually show them by date taken. Worth checking.

Associate
OP
I appear to have discovered how to get the photos from my NAS into iCloud Photos. All I have to do is select the photos in the Synology Moments app, go to the ... in the top right corner and press Download. This downloads the selected photos to Photos with the correct data, including location and other data with HEIC photos.

Not sure if this is specific to the Moments app, as I have been using this to backup the photos in the first place, so I am simply reversing the process. Anyway, it works! :)

Back
Top Bottom