UPS for PC and TV

Associate
Hi, for last couple of weeks I have drops in power or something. Every now and then my tv go black for 2 or 3 seconds no more and then is back to normal. I'm scared that if this continue it will damage my TV. What I want to do is buy a small UPS to supple nice clean power to my main TV and my PC with one 32" TV and 24" monitor. I have no idea what to look for or how much power would I need. I dont need to run it for long time but 5 minutes would be nice so I can power everything down safely. Power wise:

Main TV = 220 watts
32" TV = 200 watts
24" Monitor = 29 watts
My PC have 750 watts PSU and specks as in signature dont know how much it pulls from wall.

Any help would be nice and dont want to spend a fortune:D

Soldato
PC will be in the 400 W - 500 W absolute max range. Assuming you haven't got an insane overclock. And this would be from very unusual usage, full on 100% CPU and GPU stress something that would most users would only get with specific benchmarking.

I'll let others suggest a UPS though. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are all the lights in the house going dim?
My main TV is on the same breaker as light in my room, light in a bathroom and exhausting fan in bathroom. After a bit of testing today I did notice something odd. When you turn light on in the bathroom the fan kick in my TV is fine, when you turn light off fan stays for next 3 minutes or so as it should and my TV is still fine. Now when you turn on the light in bathroom while fan is running that's when my TV goes black for 2/3 seconds. I did check the breakers but that's only thing I can do. This is a rented house and my landlord is not the best person to deal with and prefer to keep him out of this.

Now back to UPS any one any advise? Do I need the same amount or more of watts in UPS? Or can I get something smaller(cheaper)?

Soldato
small UPS to supple nice clean power...

Main TV = 220 watts
32" TV = 200 watts
Well, here's how "clean" power cheap UPSes give:
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/
Google for sine wave if you don't know what voltage wave form should look.

Unless you're using dark sunglasses/welder's mask you can at least half the figure for TVs.
Full brightness settings are about blinding.

Now when you turn on the light in bathroom while fan is running that's when my TV goes black for 2/3 seconds.
That could hint to some kind interference or maybe problem with wiring.
Surely that fan shouldn't be high power one and neither should normal light cause high power draw.

Soldato
I'd look at more than 400VA, but I think 1000VA should be ok.
Regardless of TVs (likely) not consuming anything near their max 1000VA would be minimum so that it can handle blackout with everything on and playing game.

While "similar in size" Volt-Ampere and Watt measure different things when talking about AC.
And without knowing for particular UPS actual watt rating is typically ~60% of VA rating.
In cheapest/worst UPSes "power factor" can be even just 50%.

And if it's basically square wave UPS that likely needs extra reserve to work with some devices.
(at least it needs good primary capacitor in power supplies because of those 0V periods)

Associate
OP
Well, here's how "clean" power cheap UPSes give:
https://www.hardwareinsights.com/database-of-ups-output-waveforms/
Google for sine wave if you don't know what voltage wave form should look.

Unless you're using dark sunglasses/welder's mask you can at least half the figure for TVs.
Full brightness settings are about blinding.

That could hint to some kind interference or maybe problem with wiring.
Surely that fan shouldn't be high power one and neither should normal light cause high power draw.

I'm not looking to fix it, that would involved calling my land lord and that's a bad idea. I did notice that black outs are not happening every time but random. I did have a look at that website you posted and now I know less then before. Can you help me out in getting the right UPS for my needs. I'm not looking to run my set up off back up but only deliver clean power to it. I was thinking a UPS will do all those thing but I was wrong. Let me know what you think.

Soldato
I have a 1200va UPS(about 650watts)
Im running
my pc, about 300watts when gaming
27" led monitor
all in one printer
3D printer, about 200 -250watts
router
speakers
3 external backup hdd bay

These are hardly ever on all at the same time though

When the ups uses battery backup power, its not exactly clean power as they cant keep a constant 240v, but they do a good enough job for most electrical items and yes most ups you buy now do flick over to battery mode when mains power is too high or too low and during a power loss.

I dont totally trust my UPS during storms, as the surge protector has worn out inside by now and a power surge can get to your electrical stuff in a shorter time that a ups can flick over to battery mode, less then 8ms. But there's been a few times that I haven't been around to disconnect my stuff during storms and its done a good job so far of protecting my stuff over about 8-10yrs of having it. By the way I have my UPS plugged in to a surge protector now that the surge protector thingy has warn out.

So yeah a 1500va should be enough, or even a 1200va if you dont run everything at once.

You can buy real expensive ones where the UPS is always on battery mode so the mains power doesn't get anywhere near your electrical stuff, so totally safe during storms Im guessing. The mains power just keeps the batteries charged I think? I havent seen any of these to buy, so Im guessing these and the more advanced ones are harder to come by.

Anyway I hope my 2pence of info helps you out.

Sorry for the editing...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Most of the time all of my staff is not on, my pc is on 24/7. I only have my main TV on when other two are off as they are on the opposite sides of the room. I'm extremely grateful for all the feedback I got. Now can I get one that will fulfil my need for £100/£150?

Back
Top Bottom