UPS Question

Associate
Well,

After just having spent a thousand pound on a new system, and having just had a powercut only an hour or two ago while using it im kinda really wanting a UPS to protect the machine from future powercuts. So my budgets £90 for one, anyone got any recommendations? As i honestly have no idea what to look for with UPS's. Preferably one that gives me enough time to shut down my machine (or does it for me) and has at least some battery life that will allow me to run for a few minutes on the UPS itself without mains power.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I bought a refurbed APC SmartUPS 1000VA from an auction site. Trusted brand, readily available parts, software etc.
It runs my entire office without a problem (2x PCs, 2x LCDs, Amplifier, Subwoofer, NSLU2 and a mass of USB accessories) for over 30 minutes the other day when we had our electric meter replaced)and cost me around 50 notes. Only bought it after the brand new one I bought from a different brand was recalled after 8 months of no bother usage.

Associate
OP
Im looking at one of the belkin models, however i have a quick question, on the cable type it reads: 1 x serial - RS-232 - 9 pin D-Sub (DB-9) ¦ 1 x USB - 4 PIN USB Type B, what does it mean by type B? I thought there were only two types ( USB 1 & 2 ).

Associate
The 'type' refers to the format of the connector not the standard of the connection (1, 2 etc.)

Type 'A' is the normal flat type of connector most often seen on the back of your PC, or on say a mouse connector.

Type 'B' is the smaller squarer type connector most often found on printers and other devices.

Soldato
Personal preference would be the APC rather than the Belkin as APC have been in the UCP business far longer than Belkin. In addition APC have a good reputation within the server market.

Size it. You will need to understand the power requirement that your machine requires. An UPS is there to cover short periods and if the power has not be restored by then allow the machine to shutdown in a controlled fashion. So if you get power outages on a regular occurance then get an idea for the length of the outage as your UPS should cover you for that period.

Don't plug Laser printers or photocopiers into them. The current drain from these will overload the UPS.

I wouldn't actually plug in a monitor if the machine is a server.

Back
Top Bottom