UPS recommendations

Associate
So I've had a few instances recently with power loss and my servers aren't really happy about it. No data loss or permanent damage but I would like to protect against it in future and allow for a graceful shut down. So I'm looking for recommendations for a UPS. It needs to fit in my rack so rack mountable is a preference and it doesn't need to have a huge capacity (servers probably draw 5/600w between them at full load).

Lastly with all these things I am on a budget, I've been looking at a few reconditioned APC units on online auction sites but I have seen some horror stories with their batteries and seeing as though this is to live in my house I would rather have something I can trust. So for a budget of around £200 what would you suggest?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your great responses so far, very useful for a subject I know relativly little about! I have seen the refurbished APC units on auction sites and have been pretty tempted. I doubt I'm anywhere near 600w most of the time, the main machine I care about is a NAS/SAN with a 40w Xeon and a stack of hard drives (not yet but will be 21 drives soon).

How loud are the APC units? I see they mostly have cooling fans but this will live in a spare room next to a bedroom so noise is also an important factor.

Associate
OP
right I think I've found a suitable candidate. An APC Smart-UPS 1000VA so SUA series 640w, new batteries. Looks to tick all the boxes. The only thing is it doesn't come with rack mount ears/rails. Is there anywhere good to source these?

Associate
OP
Ha, so your first link they are based around 5 mins from my house, the second link is about 5 mins from my parents house. I'll have a nose around. I'll come back when I'm all sorted. Cheers for the help so far!

Back
Top Bottom