• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upscaling on a 4k TV

Soldato
So long story short, I've purchased some components for a decent 1080p gaming rig.

i7 5820k, 16gb DDR4 and currently an rx570 is on the way.

Now I know this is more than ample for 1080p at decent settings, but this is a pc i'm building for my living room where we will be purchasing a 4k tv soon.

I am looking to upgrade to a better gpu when the tv is purchased, likely be a 2070ti/vega56 or something along those lines performance wise(depending on what is released potentially too)

Now, realistically i'm not going to be able to afford a 2080ti etc or anything along those lines to run 4k at a high frame rate with good settings.

Does anyone here upscale from say 1440p to a 4K TV? How does it upscale if so?

Or how do 4k games look at low settings? does the high resolution counteract the need for AA / high settings?

Any help appreciated :)

Soldato
I purchased a 4K TV last week, I have my HTPC with a Vega 64. Games play fine with mid to high settings at 3840x2160. I would go for one of these instead of the 2070ti or vega56.

Soldato
TVs upscale very well (at least the half-decent ones) - better than any monitor, in fact; also some can do 1080p/1440p 120hz & Freesync. I ran my PC with an i7 6800k & RX 480 for 2-3 years and 4K TVs (Sony XE70 & XF90), so basically we had identical specs (got a V64 now). The results (with the 480) have been excellent imo, but it really depends on what your expectations are. If I play action-adventure games (e.g. Odyssey) and get very high settings @ 4K 30fps, I'm okay with that - for some that's unacceptably low fps. Other times you might have to reduce render scale 10-20%. Lots of settings have very little performance cost but give big visual benefit (e.g. Texture Quality) if you have enough vram. Other settings don't change much visually but have big performance impact (usually shadow-based or propietary, e.g. HFTS). If you learn what settings to tweak you can get a LOT of mileage out of an RX 570 even at 4K. The further you sit from the tv, the less difference between 1080p & 4K (e.g. when I sit 1.7m away from the TV, I do want to keep it at 4K & with AA on; if I move further to 2-2.2m then I'm totally fine with 1080p, or if I reduce render scale 10-20% the difference is very little visible, etc.). You'll still need AA even at 4K, but the kind and level of it will vary from game to game - imo AA is mostly a non issue these days. The taxing forms of AA like MSAA are almost never used anymore and the others have relatively small performance impact.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom