UPVC window won't shut.

Associate
Well basically I have opened (as usual) small bathroom window and now it won't shut. It happened before as well, but after trying to close it, I gave up, came back 10 minutes later and managed to close it. This time I can't make it close. I don't know if there is a "thingy" that makes it not closable on purpose (because it looks like it is) or not, but maybe someone encountered that and know what to fix it, before taking the window off the hinges? (it is freezing in there now)

Tea Drinker
Don
They are multi point locking and probably have spike in the back that form part of the whole 8 point locking thing, can't you just have a look and see what is clashing or hanging out that's stopping it closing.

Associate
OP
It seems that 2 metal thingies on the top (both top left and top right courners) do not fit into the designated metal slot for some reason. (the best I can do to expain)

Soldato
Do they move/slide when you use handle, you might find some WD40 or similar will free things up.

Got a back door here with stiff side pins, need to use handle up & down several times to get them to move, got no WD40 though.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, they are stationary...

Oh!:confused:

Unless the frame has sagged or moved out out of alignment, or the actual opening window is loose on it hinges, or some other obstruction run your hand all around the frame for loose fixing, etc, then I'm lost for an answer.

EDIT: Are the metal slots fixed with screws, are they loose, or moved slightly out of alignment?.

Last edited:
Associate
Will it mostly close then get stuck? Could be worn hinges.

In the image below the point in the lower red circle fits into the recess in the upper circle when the window shuts. On one of my windows the "point" doesn't align properly with the recess any more. My solution is pulling the top of the window towards me while closing so the point seats correctly and the window fully closes.

Come the summer I'll try replacing the hinges.

evcgzt.jpg

Associate
OP

In the image below the point in the lower red circle fits into the recess in the upper circle when the window shuts. On one of my windows the "point" doesn't align properly with the recess any more. My solution is pulling the top of the window towards me while closing so the point seats correctly and the window fully closes.

evcgzt.jpg

Seems that it is indeed hinges, will try your method for closing my window when I will get home. Thanks

Associate
OP
Soldato
If its a fairly recent upvc installation try looking up the insurance I think most of them come with a 10 year fensa (don't quote me) warranty, you might find your covered before you go blowing a hole in your wallet :)

Associate
Associate
OP

evcgzt.jpg

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but how the hell do you manage to pull the top bit towards you while closing without losing your fingers lol

Associate
OP
If its a fairly recent upvc installation try looking up the insurance I think most of them come with a 10 year fensa (don't quote me) warranty, you might find your covered before you go blowing a hole in your wallet :)

I will have to do that through my landlord, which I don't really want to do, I would rather change the hunges myself

Associate
Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but how the hell do you manage to pull the top bit towards you while closing without losing your fingers lol
Must be a different manufacturer with slightly different dynamics. I closed the window with my fingers to test my theory then screwed a handle to the position that needs to be pulled. The students I rent the house to were happy with this solution standing till the summer as the window doesn't get much use. I recommend you don't follow the same approach unless you own the window and don't care if it ends up with holes in!

Changing the hinges could be a real pain unless you can source exact replacements. That's why I'm leaving it till the summer.

If I were you I'd take photos showing the problem then report it to your landlord to fix as it is their responsibility to repair worn out/defective windows. Fight it through the dispute service when the [horrible so and so's] try to charge you..

Associate

We had that happen on a couple of top windows on the house we moved into where the spikes would bind. A dab of vaseline on the relevant surfaces sorted them out.

They are old and will need to be replaced eventually but it'll do as a stopgap.

Back
Top Bottom