Urgent advice required

Soldato
I purchased a audio driver off a freelancer from elance and now I have the files in front of me there's some rather suspicious issues.

Build failed not surprisingly as there's a typo;

Section [raudio.wave] not found.

Stupidly I googled it not thinking it was such a simple error (driver noob) and I came across a github project from 10 years ago.

Now this got me interested as the project was named "RAudio" not "audio" downloaded it and have run every file through code compare and the only changes are renaming objects from "RAudio" to "audio". The file sizes are identical as is their count.

I cannot find a difference between the two file sets other than one is made 10 years ago by a German named Benjamin and the ones I have yet to pay for by a Russian named Vlad who apparently wrote them last in Novemeber last year.

Now this is the part I need help on;

What are the chances of .h .cpp files being 99% identical written by two different people?

I think I already know the answer and I'm going to get screwed over on this via escrow :(.

Anyone ever experienced this before? Advice?

I am so bloody angry at the moment.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately it doesn't have a license attached.

As such I think I'm screwed and bound by the escrow to pay this guy.

Although in chat his exact message was "I developed this for another client please check job xxxx".

Grrr.

Soldato
OP
Depends - though it might get tricky - if he has just ripped off someone else's project he might not have commercial rights to it in which case it wouldn't be his to sell to you though going through all that with the freelance company is probably going to be non-trivial.

That is true. However I cannot find any information on if Github automatically licenses work regardless of inclusion of one.

Damn :(.

Soldato
OP
Right I've found the Germans Twitter and messaged him hopefully he replies soon.

Also messaged elancer support to see where I'd stand on the subject.

*crosses fingers*

Heck if he'd actually developed something I'd pay him without hesitation but that amount of money for changing names is overkill.

Soldato
OP
Got him to end the contract without argument :D.

Giving him his home address and threatening to inform the original author help expedite the process :D.

On the downside I still havent worked out how to add logos to the mmsys.cpl :(.

Edit: should add I've informed the author anyway.

Edit2: he's now claiming it was provided to him by a client...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Why cant anything be simple lol.

Think I've found the correct commands for changing them now.

Going to reqrite the entire thing for wpf now anyway.

Back
Top Bottom