Urgent Help - CPU Fan not working...

Soldato
Morning all.

Turned on my PC today to find a loud sound coming from the inside. I thought that it was just one of my cheap fans that had a build up of dust. How wrong i was. :o

Then the computer displayed "CPU fan not working" oh **** :eek:

The CPU was slightly overclocked (a 3000+ winny 939 @ 2.16ghz) with 1.55v. Voltage a little high, but i have a AC64, and my temps are really great (32idle).

The case is now opened, and the CPU fan header is still connected. The AC64 feels normal and in place, although i'm not trusting myself to be certian.

What should i do next. Would resetting the BIOS remove the overclock? I dont care if i loose it, as having a processor is more important ;)

Should i remove the processor and basically start again from scratch?

Sorry if this sounds extremely rude, but the quicker the repies the better, as i could do with fixing this ASAP as i am going on holiday tomorrow afternoon.

Many thanks.

Associate
To be honest, the heatsink does most of the work, but you should have a fan if you're wanted to boot the computer for a good long time.

Try connecting the CPU FAN into the Case/Chassis Fan header for a while; will at least let you boot without fear of overheating.

And flashing the bios will get rid of the overclock.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

A BIOS flash is out of the question im afraid, after a previous one really messed up my mobo (and it was also a windows flash with a beta driver - bad combination!) so i'm a little weiry about doing another. I can reset the CMOS though :p

I'll try using another fan header after i've tried again after i've given the fan a good dustout.

Soldato
OP
Update: Dusted out and reconected the CPU fan header but still a no go. The message i get is "CPU Fan Error - Press F1 to continue"

Any other ideas? :confused:

Associate
Have you tried using a 3pin to 4pin connector and using a molex to power the fan? Then turn off the fan warnings in the bios. Might be worth a try.

Soldato
OP
Update 2:

After resetting CMOS and entering the BIOS, the CPU temp rose to 27/27.5deg after about 10 minutes.

The only thing that is bothering me is the noise of the fan and the its relation to the RPM. When i booted up the same rough sound was heard, and continued to be heard up until about 2300rpm, when suddenly the computer suddenly went back to its original sound levels and rpm (after about 4 mins), so im wondering if the errors are due to the fan not being able to spin fast enough when the computer is booted.

At the moment, i've left the comp sitting in the BIOS. I dont dare go into windows because i cant monitor the temps (would need to install Asus Probe)

If anyone has any other suggestions for me, please feel free to put them forward. :)

And thanks to all that replied. Without your quick replies i would be too chicken to boot the computer again and would have a weight over my shoulder on holiday (which is the last thing i want!)

Associate
OzZie said:
The only thing that is bothering me is the noise of the fan and the its relation to the RPM. When i booted up the same rough sound was heard, and continued to be heard up until about 2300rpm, when suddenly the computer suddenly went back to its original sound levels and rpm (after about 4 mins), so im wondering if the errors are due to the fan not being able to spin fast enough when the computer is booted.

Sounds like you need to just replace that fan. It sounds sluggish to me. Fans are only a few quid, so it's a cheap maintenance job. :)

Associate
If your worried about booting into windows set the shutdown temp in the bios to 65oC its in the pc health bit i think the pc will shut down if its over that and will be fine

Back
Top Bottom