US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Caporegime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Soviet_invasion_of_Iran

So we (the Brits) we're forcing regime change in 1940, for the Iranian crime of remaining neutral in WW2. We replaced a modernising, peaceful leader with a puppet who was believed to be favourable to British interests. We sent German families living in Iran to Russian concentration camps; no doubt sending many to their deaths.

Prior to that we were taking Iranian oil and giving them only 10% of the profits (like how we screwed India and others).

We gave Iranian territory to Russia and we caused food shortages throughout the country, wrecking their economy in the process. Because they were neutral.

We've been ******* over countries in the ME and the East since forever.

Who knows how these places could have ended up if we weren't so keen on "liberating" them from any ruler not immediately bending over when we commanded it.

We're absolutely not the good guys. That's the only sane conclusion.

Caporegime
Im not sure basing an argument on “hey guys the Brits has colonies and protectorates back in the day” is a particularly strong one.

Yeah we did, doesn’t stop us from being able to make interventions now or oppose oppressive regimes or object to the conduct of certain nations etc...

Man of Honour

So we (the Brits) we're forcing regime change in 1940, for the Iranian crime of remaining neutral in WW2. We replaced a modernising, peaceful leader with a puppet who was believed to be favourable to British interests. We sent German families living in Iran to Russian concentration camps; no doubt sending many to their deaths.

Prior to that we were taking Iranian oil and giving them only 10% of the profits (like how we screwed India and others).

Who knows how these places could have ended up if we weren't so keen on "liberating" them from any ruler not immediately bending over when we commanded it.

I have very mixed feelings on this - on the one hand things have been done in the name of the British Empire that would make the Nazis proud on the other hand you see pictures of some parts of the ME under British rule or within the sphere of British influence in the 50s, etc. people had a freedom and quality of life they absolutely haven't had before or since.

Soldato

We gave Iranian territory to Russia and we caused food shortages throughout the country, wrecking their economy in the process. Because they were neutral.

You'll need to do a bit more reading on that. Iran and Nazi's were tight during WW2.

Caporegime
Im not sure basing an argument on “hey guys the Brits has colonies and protectorates back in the day” is a particularly strong one.

Yeah we did, doesn’t stop us from being able to make interventions now or oppose oppressive regimes or object to the conduct of certain nations etc...
I'm sure we'll *always* have some "good reason" to go around instigating regime change, causing resentment, screwing over foreign lands far, far away.

We're a right bunch of war-mongers. That's the sad truth.

Caporegime
You'll need to do a bit more reading on that. Iran and Nazi's were tight during WW2.
Yet they gave thousands of Jews Iranian citizenship and smuggled them out of Germany.

And supplied the allies with oil "crucial" to the war effort.

You do know what neutral is, don't you.

Also lol at "They were tight, bruv".

Caporegime
Why are Hong Kong fighting as hard as they are to keep what we installed over there?
Oh yes, HK. What a fine job we did there.

A city founded on the opium trade. Ie, we flooded China with it and HK got rich as a result.

Are you saying that's a model for how the west should act in foreign lands?

Caporegime
They literally supplied Germany with money for the war...

Where other countries cut off ties with the Nazi's..
They continued to trade with both the allies and with Germany... because they were neutral.

You're hardly neutral if you take sides are you. How does that work, exactly?

You think the Nazis would have approved that they were smuggling German Jews to the safety of Iran? They very much sound like the good guys in that story.

We then sent thousand to Russia to an unknown fate; possibly to their deaths.

Caporegime
Yet they gave thousands of Jews Iranian citizenship and smuggled them out of Germany.

And supplied the allies with oil "crucial" to the war effort.

You do know what neutral is, don't you.

Also lol at "They were tight, bruv".

Um...until the British moved in they were Nazi Germany's top trading partner.

Soldato
Oh yes, HK. What a fine job we did there.

A city founded on the opium trade. Ie, we flooded China with it and HK got rich as a result.

Are you saying that's a model for how the west should act in foreign lands?

Why are you going back to the opium wars though? Talk about HK in its current form. What has the opium wars got to do with HK protestors fighting to keep the status quo, and hanging British flags in its parliament.

Last edited:
Soldato
They continued to trade with both the allies and with Germany... because they were neutral.

You're hardly neutral if you take sides are you. How does that work, exactly?

You think the Nazis would have approved that they were smuggling German Jews to the safety of Iran? They very much sound like the good guys in that story.

We then sent thousand to Russia to an unknown fate; possibly to their deaths.

I don't know too much about it actually, i know i've just read that Iran were heavily involved in buying goods from the Nazi's when other countries cut off ties.
If i go have a read now, i'm pretty certain its not like you are making out.

Edit.

In January 1942, Iran, the Soviet Union, and Great Britain signed a Tripartite Treaty of Alliance. In this agreement, the Allies recognized Iranian territorial integrity, sovereignty, and political independence. They also pledged to protect the Iranian economy from the effects of the war. Most importantly, they promised to withdraw from Iranian territory within six months of the end of the war. By the spring of 1942, Iran had cut off all relations with the Axis Powers and had expelled all of their nationals residing in Iran.

hmmm

Caporegime
It's not just the west though, China & Russia are doing the same thing.

China are building roads and infrastructure in Africa in return for minerals.

No fighting there though..

Well yes, there is in several places. It has settled down in the last 20 years though. In part since the USSR collapsed and the proxy wars reduced and moved to the Middle East.

Soldato
You can't just ignore the reasons behind HK's very existence tho, can you?!

You talk as if we were the only people that did sh*tty stuff to other people, the whole world was like that.

Stop going back 200 years, it has no relevance at all, and clearly the current young people of Hong Kong don't consider the opium wars any part of their history, because it isn't what they experienced. So why are you talking about it, if they don't even consider it?

Caporegime
I'm sure we'll *always* have some "good reason" to go around instigating regime change, causing resentment, screwing over foreign lands far, far away.

We're a right bunch of war-mongers. That's the sad truth.

The US responded to an attack on their embassy and their bases...

The warmongers here are Iran.

If that causes resentment then they can do one tbh... might also cause them to now live with the reality that there are consequences now for their actions and proxy attavkd aren’t going to fly anymore.

Of course the US could just bend over and accept further attacks on their bases, international shipping and threats to international shipping lanes but frankly it’s good they’re taking a stand here tbh...

Back
Top Bottom