US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Caporegime
Geopolitics isn't yours if you think China or Russia are defending Iran from America, who's military budget is larger than Iran, China and Russia combined.

Since when has a disparity in military bugets been a 100% guarantee there will not be a war?

Caporegime
Since when has a disparity in military bugets prevented war?

It's not as if the US had to run away in the Korean war because a Chinese entrance embarrassed them. I doubt Iran would be a focus point for any hypothetical world war, but the fact is that no one would have thought the murder of Franz was justification for nearly 80 years of conflict (WW1, WW2, Cold War) either, but it was, so why pretend that events cant spiral out of control from small pitiful issues?

Complacency is such a stupid position, it's better to ere on the side of caution, had the UK done so in WW1 we wouldn't be suckling the US's teet right now. Making conflicts that are not relevant to us our own, has done nothing but reduce our power in the world and consistently endangered our prosperity.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not as if the US had to run away in the Korean war because a Chinese entrance embarrassed them. I doubt Iran would be a focus point for any hypothetical world war, but the fact is that no one would have thought the murder of Franz was justification for nearly 80 years of conflict (WW1, WW2, Cold War) either, but it was.

Complacency is such a stupid position, it's better to ere on the side of caution, had the UK done so in WW1 we wouldn't be suckling the US's teet right now.

Yes look at us able to have a modest defence budget freeing up money for social spending and health care because America effectively subsidises our defence.

Man of Honour
I've lost count how many times I've heard "This is World War Three" over the last 30-40 years. Maybe it will be, but I'm betting not.

Probably not - but this is a significant escalation - targetting high profile individuals not just some random militia or middle ranking officers that "might have gone rogue", etc.

This is an actual act of war the question is how Iran will respond to it.

Associate
A resolution was reached with Iran and the US back-peddled on it, you may espouse the opinion that it might have looked like a failure to come to a deal on other geopolitical issues, but it provided a way out for Iran, now they have no choice.

So what is it then, is it America's job to police the world or not?

It is no ones job to police the world, but like it or not. The US has been involvement in the historical geopolitical make up of large sways of the planet. Its a nation born in international conflict that regressed into isolation. To then be drawn back into international conflict which has continued this last 100 years. They are not the worlds policeman but rather a power following it's own international interests. Like I said Trump has tried to bring the rouge states to dialog, I never said he made a successful job of it but he has tried.

Attacking the US Embassy was an act of provocation by another nation involved in international conflict, can't be having it both why. There are no victims in all this.

Soldato
These big countries have never been good at close up war if both sides have near equal range of weapons and both have a competant air force. They can only really launch long range missiles at one another.

The US is at a disadvantage because we know at least 50% of the public will be against it, as they hate Trump anyways, and if there are any American soldier deaths this will turn even more people against Trump.

Man of Honour
How did WW1 start? Woeful.

The claim was this assassination is an intentional provocation to start WW3. The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was not an intentional provocation to start WW1. It was the trigger, but it wasn't done in order to start WW1. Its importance is exaggerated IMO - there were many other causes of WW1 - but the point here is that the assassination was not done with the intention of starting WW1.

Soldato
I love how Pompeo says it will lead to a deescalation. I suppose if the Iranians managed to assassinate a top American official in London everyone could call it quits...

Caporegime
The claim was this assassination is an intentional provocation to start WW3. The assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was not an intentional provocation to start WW1. It was the trigger, but it wasn't done in order to start WW1. Its importance is exaggerated IMO - there were many other causes of WW1 - but the point here is that the assassination was not done with the intention of starting WW1.

You've literally (since literally is too strong) alluded to my point. One cannot know what could provoke such a stupid stream of events.

I don't personally think it will cause it, i simply believe it could start a chain of events we cannot speculate well enough on to say assuredly that WW3 will not or can not happen. Either way I won't be wondering why my city is pile of rubble, like some, the least i can have is that rather than aimless bewilderment.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I love how Pompeo says it will lead to a deescalation. I suppose if the Iranians managed to assassinate a top American official in London everyone could call it quits...

Depends as a gambit (from the US side) it could be Iran isn't prepared to raise the stakes and will instead back down generally at least for awhile - or they will retaliate which will raise the stakes even higher if it is any kind of retaliation in kind rather than symbolic.

Soldato
OP
I love how Pompeo says it will lead to a deescalation.

That's because he's like the rest of his ilk in the US government, they're just a bunch of thick sods who act without giving a single thought of the consequences or the fallout due to their actions. It's like they all have ADHD or something.

Soldato

i was under the impression ww1's origins came from pretty much everyone in europe being game for a scrap without quite realising the horror the modern technology was going to unleash.

the archduke getting shot was just the right spark at the wrong time.

Caporegime
i was under the impression ww1's origins came from pretty much everyone in europe being game for a scrap without quite realising the horror the modern technology was going to unleash.

the archduke getting shot was just the right spark at the wrong time.

Well the Saudi and Turkish Regimes sure want something, if either of them join in then what does Russia do? They've been rather a lot more willing to involve themselves lately and if the result of a complete lack of stability comes to the ME, then Russia is the one that primarily suffers being so close to it.

Back
Top Bottom