USB cable, is theres a length limit?

Soldato
as title says..

im wanting to put up infra-red webcams in the forrest to look at animals at night time. nothing dodgy :p

And is there something better out there than webcams? i dont want to abandon a expensive digital camera.

thanks, shimy

Suspended
Could you not get wireless cameras? therefore doing away with the use of wires. I can't tell you prices though. If you used webcams, where would the light come from?

Soldato
OP
did think about that.. then i forgot about the power source.
I want the camera to be on 24/7 and computer capturing photos on a regular bacis.

i want a couple of cameras out there, about 3 or 4.

USB cable will need to be about 50 meters long....

Commissario
USB cables have a max length of about 5metres without a repeater, 15m with a powered repeater/hub I beleive.

For what you are talking about you may do better with a networked web cam (possibly with power over ethernet, so no need to power cables), although they are more than normal webcams.

Associate
yes there is a limit on it. USB 1 was something like 5m, Not sure about USB2 think its something like 50m.

You can get optical USB cables which i guess would be able to cover a massive range but i have no idea how much these cost and would assume you need some kind of adapter as well (sorry dont know much about them :) ).

Might want to look on a certain auction site and see if you can pick up some cheap networkable security camera's.

Back
Top Bottom