USB/Ethernet/HDMI Cables between rooms?

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm looking at feeding cables from my upstairs office to the lounge downstairs. The office is directly above the lounge and the cable will run across on of the common (external) walls. I'm looking at faceplates to neaten it up.

I know ethernet will be fine. What about USB and HDMI? Will the length add significant quality drop or latency increase - or even any other issues?

The idea is so I can connect the PC up to the TV downstairs. Most likely HDMI from PC to Amp, then to TV.

USB (probably 2 of them) will be for wireless keyboard and mouse as well as the webcam.

Is this a good idea? Any foreseen problems or advice?

Soldato
So this isn't a binary answer -

Does cable length affect signal reliability? Yes, definitely. Will the lengths involved be an issue? Maybe, best to work out the actual distances.

USB 2, USB 3, and HDMI all have specified maximum length for given data rates. I think USB 2 is up to 30ft/10m whereas USB 3 is only 11ft/3m. HDMI similar, but is very dependent on what resolution and framerate etc you expect to push. You can get 1080/60 down a long cable but I'd you want 4k120 HDR then you'll find you need shorter cables AND quality/brand matter a lot more.

These being digital communications, it's largely pass/fail. You're more likely to see flaky behaviour than added "analog" latency.

I would suggest running a single USB3 or one each of 2 and 3, and adding a powered hub at the end.

First port of call: work out your cable runs and look up the maximum lengths for USB and HDMI!

Permabanned
I have tried this sort of thing before. You have the wired option but also most PC's now can directly transmit to a TV via bluetooth. Admittedly only at 1080p. The wired option the issue is HDMI cables. It will not go very far and even if you force it they simply don't make very long HDMI cables. I guess it depends whether the cables exist. What I eventually went for is a cheap secondary PC just for the TV. Honestly it's easier than messing around with tons of cables, remotes and wall sockets. You can just network the PC to your office PC if you need. The other option is a small NAS, which many now have the option to play media on a TV.

Back
Top Bottom