USB HDDs slow on my PC?

Associate
Hey All,

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing External USB HDDs to run significantly slower on my PC compared to my laptop?

I just tested 4 different USB HDDs several times using HD Tune first on the desktop, then the laptop, the laptop averaged 30MB/sec while the PC only got 12MB/sec. Both have USB 2.0 Ports, no extra USB devices plugged in (not even the mouse) and running clean installs of XP Pro SP3.

The PC is a crappy pre-built thing but surely it shouldn't cause that much difference? By the way I'm not bothered about speed so please don't give an answer being "use eSata or firewire" I'm just curious at to why there would be such a big difference.

Man of Honour
My mate had a problem a while back with his USB HDD, he said it was something to do with it being set to low power/storage mode rather than system.

Not a clue apart from that :p

Associate
OP
Hi, Thanks for the replies.

As far as I know the drive(s) aren't in any kind of low-power mode, also it has the latest BIOS and yeah the rear ports only get ~12MB/s too.

Soldato
Ah k8 ati chipset, officially the worst USB performance in the known world!

I have it on my laptop up here and it is cringingly slow (as ati just couldnt do a working driver with any performance)

Whats your laptop specs?

Associate
OP
Thanks - guess that'll be what the problem is then so nothing I can do about it, oh well :p

Laptops a Vostro 1500, T7250, 3GB, (PM965 ?) chipset.

Back
Top Bottom