USB Hub issue

Soldato
I have a powered 7 port TP link hub, that works fine, using an amazon basics USB to micro USB cable, but the issue is that the slightest movement and the stupid connector pulls out of the back of the hub (it is mounted to my Sim Rig)

so I bought this from ebay
that way I can wrap a zip tie around the hub and physically stop it pulling out the back of the hub.

and then connected it to the PC with a 3m USB 3.0 a>b cable and my wheelbase just wouldn't stay connected longer than a few seconds
so I changed the cable to a 2m'ish one and it works fine.
so then ordered a rhino cables 3m cable and having the same issue as the first 3m cable.

is this issue likely to be the 3m cable or the adapter I bought off ebay ?

I'm thinking at this point of just getting a new USB hub, but I was trying to avoid spending £50 when I have a perfectly working USB hub already.

Last edited:
3m is THE max that a USB 3.0 cable can be at the max speed, from memory. Even though there should be some tolerance in the standard, it usually doesn't work that way in practice. If 2m works and 3m doesn't then it's the length of the cable I'd say. You can get powered (active) / repeater USB cables that might work OK if the ones you're using now just don't cut it, but they get expensive for USB 3.0 compared to 2.0 ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom