USB Hub / KVM for PC and Laptop

Associate
Need some recommendations on a KVM / HUB solution please

Gaming/Desktop PC Connected to two monitors via two separate DisplayPort cables, USB Mouse and USB Keyboard connected directly to my PC.

I have a work machine (Windows) that at work, I dock with a USB C powered Hub that then has my multiple screens etc.

I want to be able to do something similar at home, but without having to disconnect anything each time.

So what I want to do is to be able to use keyboard/mouse/2 x monitors with both my desktop pc, and a laptop , but without having to unplug stuff each time, and be able to switch as I wish.

I'm guessing I'm going to need a KVM and a Hub/Dock ? I'm not sure how I would connect the Hub output to the KVM though.

Is what i want to do even possible?

Last edited:
I work from home and I have a laptop for work and a Desktop PC for gaming.

I have a HDMI cable from my monitor to my laptop and then a Display Port cable from the monitor to my desktop PC, this detects what is on at the time and switches between the 2 but I can also change it via the on screen options on the monitor controls.

I have 1 x keyboard and 1 x mouse connected to a USB hub (link below) and this connects to my desktop and my laptop via USB to each. This has a button on I can press to change between the 2 if needed or again, it detects what is on like the monitor.

I got this back in 2021 but looks like its no longer available you it will give you an idea of what to look for. I used this as I quickly got fed up of having to move the keyboard and mouse every time I started work or finished work

Last edited:
I use a usb switch for my set up, similar to the above.

I’ve got a gaming pc and a work laptop using the same monitors.

I’ve got the PC connected via display port cables and then the laptop connected by hdmi cables via a usb-c docking station thing.

The monitors switch input when one is powered off and the other is on automatically or I can switch the inputs with the buttons on the monitors easily.

My keyboard, mouse, headset etc are all plugged into the usb switch which is plugged into both machines and I can move them from one to the other with a click of the button.

It’s got a nice little toggle button on a wire which I’ve double sided taped to the underside of my desk.

Like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Computers-Switcher-Shareing-Keyboard/dp/B0C8MSP967/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=11YGUN6BKVY9C&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.T4JeJmsI6sF5wBhVSDh6Um_a-dNdRekzmaNA5BvMgp8lToq8yzfTKPZDWlEVWUnXfTiiJZnVpHipbuTcHS_DyFJWyWFio2E9Zs4Bv-X3KD-sERnopAsxuvOT6NuGlfsf5k51tuBSS_mJci0vVD4QofcJg_F8pNFNQDvFQq-GsdSHEmDl8bcGs6ROJTeN7XL-2RD6Zjy-RW1MeMlZKEypnA.F01jabh5Njk2CQRn0Ajvh2HPdXwQBFUuvw5McbelyMY&dib_tag=se&keywords=usb+switch&qid=1729193993&sprefix=usb+switch,aps,82&sr=8-7

Last edited:
Can you not RDP to your laptop? This is my solution.

Everything stays connected to my PC, when I work from home I just use RDP and connect to my laptop, and then it doesn't mean messing around with anything setup wise. :)

Can you not RDP to your laptop? This is my solution.

Everything stays connected to my PC, when I work from home I just use RDP and connect to my laptop, and then it doesn't mean messing around with anything setup wise. :)
No we can't remote in to our machine's at all.
I use a usb switch for my set up, similar to the above.

I’ve got a gaming pc and a work laptop using the same monitors.

I’ve got the PC connected via display port cables and then the laptop connected by hdmi cables via a usb-c docking station thing.

The monitors switch input when one is powered off and the other is on automatically or I can switch the inputs with the buttons on the monitors easily.

My keyboard, mouse, headset etc are all plugged into the usb switch which is plugged into both machines and I can move them from one to the other with a click of the button.

It’s got a nice little toggle button on a wire which I’ve double sided taped to the underside of my desk.

Like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Computers-Switcher-Shareing-Keyboard/dp/B0C8MSP967/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?crid=11YGUN6BKVY9C&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.T4JeJmsI6sF5wBhVSDh6Um_a-dNdRekzmaNA5BvMgp8lToq8yzfTKPZDWlEVWUnXfTiiJZnVpHipbuTcHS_DyFJWyWFio2E9Zs4Bv-X3KD-sERnopAsxuvOT6NuGlfsf5k51tuBSS_mJci0vVD4QofcJg_F8pNFNQDvFQq-GsdSHEmDl8bcGs6ROJTeN7XL-2RD6Zjy-
I work from home and I have a laptop for work and a Desktop PC for gaming.

I have a HDMI cable from my monitor to my laptop and then a Display Port cable from the monitor to my desktop PC, this detects what is on at the time and switches between the 2 but I can also change it via the on screen options on the monitor controls.

I have 1 x keyboard and 1 x mouse connected to a USB hub (link below) and this connects to my desktop and my laptop via USB to each. This has a button on I can press to change between the 2 if needed or again, it detects what is on like the monitor.

I got this back in 2021 but looks like its no longer available you it will give you an idea of what to look for. I used this as I quickly got fed up of having to move the keyboard and mouse every time I started work or finished work

Thanks both,

So if i've gotten this right.

Laptop connects to a USB C dock with HDMI Outputs. HDMI Outputs go to monitors 1 and 2.
USB C Dock connects to a USB Switch via USB A
Desktop connects to USB Switch via USB A
Desktop gpu outputs via DP go to monitors 1 and 2
Keyboard and mouse connect to USB Switch

Is this image about right?

RpYDJlT.png

Back
Top Bottom