USB/Onboard sound opinions? Realtek S1200A v Creative BlasterX G1 USB?

Associate
I'm not an audiophile at all: just looking to plug in some stereo headphones for gaming.

I've got a choice between the onboard audio (Realtek S1200A on my Asus TUF X570-PRO) or I have an option to use a Creative BlasterX "7.1" USB dongle that I have lying around - it was from an old HTPC that I wanted to run a dedicated line out to an amp a year ago, but now it is surplus.

The rest of the kit, if it makes a difference:
I have an old set of Logitech 5.1 speakers plugged into the rear (onboard audio) sockets that I use very, very occasionally, but it's a small room and normally on headphones.

For recreational use (gaming/music), the headset I'm using is a Sony WH-H910N - wired when gaming and on Bluetooth if I'm just listening to music nearby.

Is there likely to be any benefit of using the Creative Dongle instead of the onboard?

Forget about any telephony use: I also have a Plantronics SAVI440 DECT headset when I'm working - I have the USB on a switch, so I can turn the camera+DECT units off outside of office hours.

Last edited:
High level spec makes me think I leave the dongle alone:
BlasterX G1: 93dB SNR for the headphones line out
S1200A: 108dB SNR

I do also have an option to use an optical line out from the S1200A into a little budget "Prozor" DAC (rated at 192kHz, 24bit, unknown SNR). Never really tried it - it was just a way to plug some speakers directly into my son's Xbox when we were running it off a PC monitor that didn't have HDMI - again more gadgets that aren't being used right now.

I'll do my own testing on these over the next few weeks, but unlikely to get a chance to hear much until the kids go back to school :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom