usb ports don't work ??

Associate
whilst copying some files to my PSP from my laptop i got a message saying something like i had to reset the usb ports, so i did that but now none of the ports work :eek: . i've uninstalled them, reinstalled them but to no avail :(

the USB2 port at the front only comes up with 'unknown device'

have i killed them or is it possible to get them working again?

laptop is an Acer Travelmate.

any help would be appreciated :)

thank

Associate
xpcpu said:
whilst copying some files to my PSP from my laptop i got a message saying something like i had to reset the usb ports, so i did that but now none of the ports work :eek: . i've uninstalled them, reinstalled them but to no avail :(

the USB2 port at the front only comes up with 'unknown device'

have i killed them or is it possible to get them working again?

laptop is an Acer Travelmate.

any help would be appreciated :)

thank

Mabee you've removed the USB bus drivers - you'll need to get them from the disk which came with your laptop or Microsoft update.

Associate
Have a look in the device driver in My computer and see what devices are listed under USB - I managed to delete one of these the other day and it caused the USB ports to stop functioning - worth a look

Associate
This happens when the USB device is trying to draw too much power and it happens a lot if you have a LOT of usb ports on your PC. Try connecting it directly to one of the USB ports that is part of your motherboard. If all else fails you might need to get a powered USB hub, you could also try unplugging some of the extra ports on your PC. If your pc detects a power surge in a USB port it shuts it down and you have to reset it, normally it will pop up a message saying to remove the device and reset the port (or if you pick close it will disable the port which i think you might have done).

Associate
OP
barney

a hub will be no good as all 3 ports come up with unknown device :(

how can i eneble the ports as it does sound very much like i have disabled them.

thanks

Associate
OP
i can't get them enabled :(

no option in bios and according to device manager they are all enabled :confused:

all i get is 'Device not recognized' on the front USB port, nothing on the other 2.

Associate
The original message to reset them would have been because they where drawing too much power so a powered usb hub would stop this happening again. Try removing the PSP and plugging something else in the port to see what happens (a keyboard or mouse). TBH i dont know how to reset them if you didnt do it when it asked, i would have assumed it would have it flagged in device manager as being disabled and you just re-enable it from there but have never had to fix that im afraid. If all else fails remove the drivers from device manager and reinstall them.

I didnt notice that it was a laptop so ignore what i said about trying a different port. Not got a psp so dont know much about connecting them up. maybe you need some drivers for the PSP?

Associate
OP
uninstalled the usb drivers and reinstalled them but nothing.

the 2 ports at the side don't read anything so i think i may have killed them :(

tried my web cam on the front USB port and that comes up with 'un recognized usb device' aswell :(

i just don't understand why it says they're working and enabled when i can't use them :confused:

Soldato
Might at this point be worth checking out wht warranty on ya laptop.

The psp may have killed them, worse still you may have damaged the port on the psp!!

Not through any fault of your own though. Have seen it happen before, i plugged in a mouse and it sparked on the usb port killing all of them on a mobo before.

:(

last resort might be a complete re-install from the re-build disks, back up any data you have first.

Associate
OP
PSP working fine on my PC so thats 1 good thing :)

i think i'll do a fresh install tomorrow morning when i get home from work and see what happens then.

will let you know how it goes ;)

thanks

Back
Top Bottom