USB Webcam/Mic

Associate
Hi all,

A very basic question, but something I have no appreciation of (I shy away from all kinds of media that can stream my face to the unsuspecting great unwashed).

My son has an old laptop that does a fairly okay job of chugging along with various school level applications with minimal crashes, etc - but the in-built webcam/mic combo is quite poor (mic is very quiet even when maxed out in settings).

Is there a reasonable USB alternative that can sit on or near the laptop and do a better job of picking up voice and deliver a better quality of video? We're not talking professional quality, just something that's a bit better than a mid-range 2012-ish laptop.

(obviously asking this due to COVID and trying to take things remotely on a variety of classes, and making sure he can be seen/heard in these things!)

Thanks!

As it's only a temporary measure I not want to spend hundreds, but below that I am happy to consider most things that deliver decent results.

We have good enough internet speed - between 40-60mbs down, about 20 up (is this still good? I am of an age where I remember 56k being a breakthrough...)

Thanks - looks like the c920 is pretty much sold out in most places; but will look at the later models to see if there are any of those available.

Edit: will also look at MS Lifecam, but first few results look similar.

Looks like I am behind the curve in my thinking on this...

Back
Top Bottom