Used car buying... why is it so rubbish?

Soldato
OK so I was asked to try and source a nearly new car as my company car replacement. I've not bought a car from a used car dealer since 2004 when I paid £3.5k for a 306. How bad can it be I thought... the answer, pretty bad!

Firstly I need an estate and for every 5 crossover / SUV type things there is maybe 1 estate. Since when did nobody want a regular hatch with a bit more space?

Then there were the cars themselves. Now my budget was tight but I was looking at a well regarded nearly new car centre and approved used stuff and the presentation of the cars was appalling! Polish smeared all over, bodywork damage, missing bits, interiors covered in enough food and coffee stains to keep a rodent fed for life. Honestly I was shocked how they thought it was fine to show them like that with the screen prices in question. Amazingly when you questioned it the car that had pride of place on the forecourt was all of a sudden "awaiting preparation". Funny that when you've had it for months and recently reduced it :rolleyes:

Then there were the salesmen. Outright lies, inconsistency and BS were the order of the day. To their credit they were seamless with the bi-polar flip between talking about the £##k car you are buying and the £#k car you are trading in. "Well, its used so it's going to have some marks on it" to "oooh *sucks through teeth* that's a nasty stone chip". The main dealer was a real eye opener for me. I can't quote exactly what I heard when I walked in otherwise I'll get a ban so use your imagination to fill the blanks. "**** OFF! HAHAHAHA! **** YOU!" "You do know there's a customer over there? *LOL*" *giggles and runs off* :rolleyes: I'd be strung up for acting like that in front of a customer.

Oh well, rant over and thankfully Carwow has saved the day and I managed to find a new car within £450 of my budget for a nearly new one so we'll hopefully go for that and I can put off going to a dealer for another decade or so.

Soldato
OP
I'm sure there are plenty of good dealers out there. Unfortunately I'm not in a great position for searching as I have a tight budget for what they want me to get, I need to arrange something fairly quickly and I can't take too much time out of my work day to try and sort it so its not like I can just go and browse a few places.

I did have a slight run in with the VW main dealers salesman previously and I wasn't even buying, I was getting my Passat serviced. I was sat there while they were writing up the paperwork and the salesman within earshot was giving it large to his colleagues "I'm like a machine... you know when something just builds momentum and everything starts spinning... and its like *starts spinning his arms* WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH and nothing can stop it... that's me right now" after flogging some old boy a Golf or something.

Anyway, after his little performance he decided that he should probably sort the deposit from said old boy who'd been left at the sales desk. Unfortunately by this point the one chip and pin machine was being used by the guy sorting my service out. "Have you finished with that because, like some of us are trying to close a sale here." "Yeah its a shame we only have one machine isn't it. Here you are sir, take your time to check the amount and enter your pin" At this point my spider senses alerted me to the fact this guy was breathing down my neck so I turn round and he's gesticulating to his colleague. I look back and said service guy was giving looks back. At this point I kind of lost patience with the situation and wanted to asked if customers were always stuck in the middle of trying to wind each other up or was I just getting special treatment but being painfully British I just thanked them and took my keys :o

My boss got a quote on WBAC for mine. I told him what they were like but he asked me to get a final value in person anyway. I explained the situation and it instantly put the guy at odds because I didn't fit their "well I'm commited to the one I'm buying and this one needs to go so I'll take whatever" customer profile. Anyway, after a look, rubbing every panel with his finger and sticking a magnet on every square inch of the car we ended up naff all 'because stone chips'. After I stopped laughing I thanked him for his time and left.

Soldato
OP
Maybe Carwow doesn't have the answer. I pass my quotes on to my boss. Garage 1 "That was a one off-pre reg which has now sold" ...but we can offer you this +££££. Garage 2 "No, he's got it wrong. That quote is for a hatch (it wasn't). See it says SE, it should say ST (SE obviously being the spec) but we can do you an ST for just a bit more +£££££. Garage 3 "Yes, that right we can do it for that price... but only if you get our finance" This was on a CASH quote.

Then to top it off when I asked Garage 1 if the car actually existed (he didn't speak to the person who offered the carwow deal as she wasn't available) via the message system on the site I got a call back from a very confused man who wasn't sure why I was told it wasn't available. "I can see it here now infact 1.5 TSI EVO 150BHP FR £18500" Er... yeah, the quote was for a 1.5 TSI SE 130BHP at just over £15k.

Back
Top Bottom