using 1 or 2 PSUs - Pros/Cons

Soldato
My server is toppling over far too often due to the PSU being maxed out.

I have a number of HDs, plus I was using the thing as a workstation, with plenty of apps so that I could get it to do lots of jobs, leaving my main PC to do its stuff.

But now, I have had to back off a few things, that I would love to have back in the Server, ZIP Drive, Audio, decent GFX and so on.

The PSU in it, is a 1000w Corsair.

Sure, I could go 1200w and that will cure my issues, but the thing is, that I have a few spare PSUs and so what I have done, is toy about and by putting the HDs to another PSU, I can have my extra junk back.

So, I am wondering on a few things...

Obviously, a new 1200w is going to set me back a small fortune. It wil cure my issues of course it will, but then sorting out the dual PSU setup will also sort it out ,and cost me nothing ( I will need to modify the case but there is plenty of room for a second PSU inside ( Lian Li V2100 Plus ) where the 2x80mm fans would be.

But what are the benefits of each? What are the disadvantages? What about power useage? With a system running a 100w and lets say a 500w just for the HDs, will this eat my electricity up?

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Soldato
OP
C: = 120GB SSD
D: = 3TB WD Black
E: = 4TB WD Blue
M: = 2x8TB WD RED ( Mirror )
O: = 2x3TB WD RED ( Mirror )
P: = 2x8TB WD RED ( Mirror )
S: = 2x3TB WD RED ( Mirror )

So 10 Mechanical HDs and one SSD.

VGA was an ATI 7770 but now its a low end card. It does have Onboard VGA but I am using a HDMI KVM
Audio was Xonar x2 but currently has no audio ( apart from the HDMI but its unused )
I did have a BlueRay and a ZIP Drive. I used the Zip for transfering files to/from my Atari computers.
I have also taken out the USB 3 card and USB front bay thing and instead, I am just using a USB cable extention from the back.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys.
The PSU is a corsair fully modular and it is not old... Its not brand new either, but Id say its about a year, give or take, but Im not 100% on that.
It should be able to handle it all anyway, but it simply does not.

Overloading of one rail?
Maybe but I doubt it. I am trying to spread the load across each cable.
It has been mostly ok for the last few days, but I am also cutting back on all extra gadjets like USB, ZIP, DVD, AUDIO and now GFX.
I think that I will swap the PSU over with another one. I am no longer using my AMD 9590 setup that much, although I did start that up and its shutting down with some USB overload message that I have never seen before, so that needs sorting.
But thats got a 1000w PSU in it... Some EVERGREEN or EVERCOOL I think? ( I really should keep track of my stuff )
At least I should find out if its the PSU playing up, or maybe that I need to simply re-manage my cables?

Soldato
OP
The issue NEVER arises on power up... Just afterwards when I try to actually use it.

Oh and yes, I suppose the server is mostly for fun over any actual seriousness. I have however spent a small fortune on it and so I am making proper use of it.
I was using 4 NAS ( total of 12 HDs ( 2,2,4,4 ) ) but I then decided to use the Server for serving more than MP3's to WinAmp, but now Im getting this...

As for future headaches, this is it... I mean, I used to use 2 PSUs before and I never once had any issues even though I did this for a good 3 maybe even 4 years... And with Cheap and nasty PSUs too!

Now, Im thinking of doing it but using higher quality power supplies.

But Im going to try a different PSU first and if the other PSU also gives me a PITA, then I will add a second PSU just for the Data HDs.

Back
Top Bottom