Using a CPU cooler on a 7800GTX

Man of Honour
I've often read up on the improvements that can be made to cooling your graphics card by using a beefy CPU cooler in place of the cack that is normally bolted on to it... I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with doing this on a 7800GTX? I read a review recently where the 7900GT overclocked*insanely* when modded like this, but I'm aware that those chips are 90nm rather than 110nm so the results on the 7800gtx might not be so good...

...any ideas?

Associate
Thats a great idea, even if you get a slightly heavier cooler for the graphics card, im sure you could mount some extra supports to try and ease the weight off the board.........Im well gonna try that on my next setup now Lol

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah..weight would be a concern most definitely but as also said, as long as you make sure you put extra support there, it should be okay.

I can't find the link sadly, but the guy with the 7900GT and CPU cooler managed to get clocks well in excessof 600Mhz on the core...but as I said, the 7900s use a better tech than the 7800s so I doubt I'll get anywhere near that kind of clock. Still, 550 would be nice :p (prob requires volt mods too)

Back
Top Bottom