Using AI / hardware / benefiting from it?

Soldato
Hi all

I have a 7900xt GPU which has some AI accelerator units in it. Obviously the Nvidia cards also do. Can I make use of this hardware somehow? If so how?

How about making money with AI? I used to mine crypto on my GPU back when money could be made. Is AI a similar thing in that money can be made somehow?

I've been using chatgpt recently to help me with my part time uni course. It's very helpful but gets stuck on some of the more complex maths. On the free version Im limited to only so many queries a day do I'm wondering if subscribing would be worth it. It's $20 per month. Hence why I'm wondering if I could get more back somehow i.e make money directly from it to help justify the subscription cost.

How do you use AI, do you make money directly from it, do you leverage your own hardware?

You’ve got several interesting questions here, so let’s break them down:

### 1. **Using the AI Accelerators on Your 7900 XT GPU**
Your AMD 7900 XT GPU indeed has AI accelerators, specifically matrix cores that are designed to perform tensor operations, which are critical in AI workloads. However, software support for these AI units is not as mature as it is for NVIDIA GPUs, which have the CUDA framework, Tensor Cores, and widespread adoption in AI frameworks like TensorFlow and PyTorch.

To make use of your GPU’s AI capabilities:

- **Check for ROCm (Radeon Open Compute)**: AMD provides the ROCm platform, which is their open-source computing platform for GPUs. ROCm supports TensorFlow and PyTorch, so you can potentially train and run AI models using your 7900 XT. It won’t be as straightforward as with an NVIDIA GPU, but it’s possible.

- **Blender & Other Creative Software**: You can also use your GPU for creative work, such as 3D rendering in Blender, which is increasingly using AI-based denoising and other AI-driven enhancements.

- **Community Projects & Tools**: You might find community-driven projects that help unlock more AI potential from AMD GPUs, but these will be niche.

### 2. **Making Money with AI and Your GPU**
There are a few ways you might be able to monetize your GPU’s power with AI:

- **AI-Powered Freelancing**: You can use AI tools for content creation, video editing, or even generating art. Platforms like Fiverr or Upwork could be a place to offer AI-enhanced services, such as generating AI-based logos, writing assistance, or video editing.

- **Training Models for Others**: If you get good at training AI models, you could offer this as a service. Many small businesses and startups are looking for AI solutions but don't have the hardware or expertise to do it themselves.

- **Running Inference for AI Models**: You could rent out your GPU for AI inference tasks using platforms like Vast.ai or other similar cloud GPU rental services. You won't be making tons of money, but it could help offset the cost of the subscription.

- **Participating in AI Competitions**: Sites like Kaggle host data science and AI competitions where you can earn money or recognition. Your 7900 XT could be a valuable asset here.

### 3. **Justifying the ChatGPT Subscription Cost**
If ChatGPT has been helpful for your studies, upgrading to a paid version might be worth it because:

- **Higher Availability and Speed**: The paid version gives you priority access, more uptime, and potentially faster response times.
- **Access to GPT-4**: This model is more powerful and better at handling complex tasks, including mathematics.
- **Better Support for Complex Queries**: Paid versions are generally more capable in handling detailed or difficult queries, which could be beneficial for your studies.

### 4. **Monetizing ChatGPT Directly**
While ChatGPT itself doesn’t offer direct monetization, here are ways you could potentially earn from your AI knowledge:

- **Offering Tutoring or Study Services**: Leverage your knowledge, aided by ChatGPT, to offer tutoring services, especially if you focus on complex subjects that others might find difficult.

- **Content Creation**: Create educational content or guides based on the knowledge you’ve gained using ChatGPT. You can monetize through platforms like YouTube, Medium, or a personal blog.

- **Automation & Scripting**: If you have a technical background, you could use ChatGPT to help write scripts or automate tasks that you could then sell or offer as a service.

### 5. **How I Use AI and Leverage Hardware**
As an AI model, I don’t directly use or monetize hardware. However, individuals or organizations who deploy AI systems often leverage their hardware for various purposes:

- **Developing AI Tools and Solutions**: People build and sell AI-driven software solutions, often using high-end GPUs for training models.

- **Content Creation**: Many use AI to generate content, whether it's written, visual, or video, and monetize through ads, subscriptions, or direct sales.

- **Running AI Services**: Some offer AI-as-a-Service (AIaaS) to others, allowing businesses to tap into AI without needing their own hardware.

In your case, if you combine your GPU’s capabilities with the power of a tool like ChatGPT, you could potentially create a range of services or content that could h
elp cover or even exceed the subscription costs.

Last edited:
I also asked AI how I could use it to make money and similar answers to you.

It doesn't really answer my question though, unless the answer is it's not really viable.

Just looking for a side hustle, low effort.

Back
Top Bottom