Using garage rafters as storage

Man of Honour
I moved into a new build house last year and during the handover process the site manager said the rafters could be used for storage of a Christmas tree or something equally as light and nothing more. Speaking with neighbours, some of them have boarded their rafters and have what looks like a few hundred kilos of stuff stored up there. Is that asking for trouble? I could really do with more storage and it would be an ideal spot.

hWehoMH.jpg

fHJMvY3.jpg

I was thinking of sliding some sheets of ply across the rafters and using the space to store fairly lightweight and bulky items. Would it be okay to do this with the current setup and if not, would it be possible to strengthen the rafters to support storage?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
OP
Theee outer walls are red brick, two bricks thick. The inner wall joining to next door's garage is breeze block with two "pillars" also made from breeze block.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for the replies. :)

I think I'll slide some sheets of ply along the outer edges, leaving the access hole in the middle, and put some bulky/lightweight things up there and see how it goes for a while. I'm guessing it will be fine based on what some neighbours have and based on the replies here but what would be an early sign that it's too much weight for them to support? Would they shift or buckle?

I'd also like to do the same in the house but I think I'll take the advice above of getting a structural engineer to offer an opinion first for that project.

Back
Top Bottom