Using laptop as desktop. Will it overheat

Associate
Hi all

Got a decent laptop which has served me well and has a 1650 gpu in it.

Thing is ive broken the screen and cant afford a replacement. I am very short on space only having a small desk which laptop was on.

Battery life is not good on it so it's always plugged in.

My question is i have a 22 inch monitor thats not used. Could i connect this to the laptop and pick up a wireless kb/m and connect it all up and put the laptop out of the waywith the lid closed.

I would just keep putting laptop in sleep mode when not used.My concern is with the lid being always closed will the machine overheat.

And is there any other issues i have not factored in ?

Thanks

It would be absolutely fine, the fans don't generally suck from the top, they suck from the bottom and blow from the side, in most cases anyway.

My brother did this years ago on the biggest piece of crap laptop when we were kids for gaming for years and never had any issues. I'm sure a modern one will be more than up to the job.

In fact, a company I used to work for pretty much everyone did this with two screens.
Thanks

Thanks how do you go on about setting up the laptop to only use the external screen at all times and the broken screen on laptop always being off ?

Normally you would connect the monitor to the laptop via whatever connection the laptop has (DP or HDMI), then right click on the desktop and go to graphics properties to set up the monitor config. If the laptop does not autosense the monitor, this might be a problem for you, seeing that your laptop screen is broken, as you then won't be able to configure it.
Cheers

I can still see 70 per cent of the laptop screen ..i knocked it off the side and it hit the floor and has a crack with weird colours now lol .

cheers not confident on fitting it though ,, set up monitor and purchased a ms k400 keyboard with trackpad built in and all seems good. no temp rises and on the plus side ive also been able to connect my switch to the other hdmi port

Back
Top Bottom