Using Old Components for gaming PC

Associate
Hi all,

I am upgrading my CPU and GPU on my current build and will result in me wanting to use my old parts (CPU and GPU) rather than see them rot on a shelf.

Key criteria of this build is that I want to squeeze it into as tiny PC as possible and for it to look reasonably "pretty". Also ofcourse use the CPU and GPU - have got all the peripherals and have no desire to game greater than HD quality.

Please could you offer some advise on this build?

Happy to cost save / realise as much value as possible. Also could I go down to a 650W PSU or is that pushing it?

Thanks

Last edited:
so what part of the imgur list is from you're old rig, and what's new? as you're talking about dwngrading the psu? or is it just the cpu/gpu that's being reused?

cpu gpu being reused only
so building a whole am4 build around a 2700x, a cpu that seen for sale at £45 with no takers so far...I'f going am4, I'd at least sell that if you going to do some gaming and go for a 5600x....ones just popped up for sale or a certain mktplace and the guy wants £30 for it....20min drive from my house..if it wasn't for fact I work abroad I'd pick that up myself. the 2080 still a decent card going between a 3060 and 3070 performance so plenty of life left in it for 1080p gaming
as for the rest you're probably paying uo a lot for going itx @Gray2233 correct. What are you paying for all this?

I currently game on that CPU GPU combo and it's served me ok for 6 years. Would a CPU upgrade be a massive leap? Point on the rest of the kit is just needs to be cheaper but not too inhibitive on performance / looks.
What would be your cheapest build around those 2 components? (Surely people have bargain build gotos?)

I’d be tempted to fit a RDNA card as they perform much better with lower end systems. Nvidia cards really bog down the CPU.

I currently game on that CPU GPU combo and it's served me ok for 6 years. Would a CPU upgrade be a massive leap? Point on the rest of the kit is just needs to be cheaper but not too inhibitive on performance / looks.
What would be your cheapest build around those 2 components? (Surely people have bargain build gotos?)

We need to know what sort of budget you have, your information is far too vague.

well the 5600x vs 2700x was done with a 3080 (in the vid), so bit more powerfull than the 2080, but shows how the new 6 core cpu gives a decent uplift in fps over the older 2700x..not the end of the world though
a bargain build doesn't normally involve a itx build though, purely as itx generally means more expensive, and if buying am4 now, I'd be looking 2nd hand, otherwise I'd just bite the bullet and buy am5
right went thru part picker to get an idea of cost..generally $=£ as you have to add tax
Cooler £20
Mobo £115-found online
Ram £90-on ocuk
SSD £100-on ocuk
psu £170-online
case £120-uk price
so £525
I'd try and get a 2nd hand mobo for £50/£70ish, ram you can get new for £60 , ssd you can get a 2tb pcie4 drive for £103..psu is big one, going atx standard you cut cut £80 out of that...case also
Sorry tied u at work today as systems down otherewise could take a longer look, but something like below would save a bit , esp if you could get a 2nd hand mobo.... with doubling your storage. psu has 10yrs warranty on it etc..just not itx

Total: £322.96 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Back
Top Bottom