Using own router with Zen FTTP

Associate
Hi guys, Openreach finally decided to do fttp in my area and im switching from VM for the first time. I would like to carry on using my Asus AX86u as i have it setup using merlin firmware to allow VPN on certain devices and also use NextDNS at router level.

I see that zen router doesn’t have a ‘modem mode’ option like VM provide. Some googling brings sporadic or non-definitive results of Asus RT variant routers not being right for fttp or other mixed results or opinions using other routers in general.

Has anyone here got any first hand knowledge of attempting to use an Asus or other 3rd party router with zen, or openreach fttp in general that could give me some pointers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You’ll get an internal ONT box installed with FTTP. The ONT connects to your router using a standard network cable so make sure Openreach install the ONT in a convenient place. Once everything is hooked up, you’ll need to change your login details on your router to that provided by Zen and you’ll be good to unless they use some esoteric standard (which is unlikely)

Btw, there are better ISPs than Zen. Zen used to be good but they seem to be quite average these days
Ah ok so the Asus router can be hooked up directly to the ONT! That makes things a lot simpler.

I went with Zen based on a friends recommendation, hopefully they are ok. Honestly it’d be hard to be worse than VM for me, 3 years of insane congestion/latency issues at peak times.

Back
Top Bottom