Using Paypal to pay for goods on Gumtree

Soldato
Is it possible to use Paypal to ensure buyer protection when buying goods from Gumtree?

I know eBay recently bought Gumtree so something may be possible. I am unable to get to the item location (well, I am but it will cost £80 to get there)

...It seems I can

As long as you ensure that you select 'Goods' as your payment type when sending the funds to the seller, you should be fully protected in the event of the item not being received or being not as described.

Ask your seller send you an invoice from within PayPal stating the payment is for goods, you should only ever pay one whole lump sum and not a deposit or installments as those are not covered by PP.

Yep all you need is the email address. You can then send the payment through the send money tab. Again make sure it is marked as a purchase payment for goods as personal payments, deposits and virtual items are not covered under buyer and seller protection.

If they send you a brick with tracking then your PayPal protection will be worthless. As for Gumtree/eBay covering you it says at the bottom of every Gumtree ad never to send payment without seeing the item in person.

If they send you a brick with tracking then your PayPal protection will be worthless. As for Gumtree/eBay covering you it says at the bottom of every Gumtree ad never to send payment without seeing the item in person.

Yes, but it also says you are fully protected if paying for goods in one lump sum.

Surely the item is not the same as on the invoice if it is a brick and I have an invoice for a working laptop

Only use gumtree for local purchases.

If I was the seller id refuse paypal if an items being collected as the buyer can claim non receipt and get there money back. And theyd win as there would be no proof of delivery.

I've been scammed twice using PayPal on Gumtree. The seller takes your money, withdraws it, never sends the item, gives lots of excuses and then vanishes.

You get your money back eventually from PayPal when you open a case but the seller has already conned you and taken it.

Yes, but it also says you are fully protected if paying for goods in one lump sum.

Surely the item is not the same as on the invoice if it is a brick and I have an invoice for a working laptop

To be honest that is an extreme example and you carry the same risk any time you buy privately online. If it were to happen though it's your word against his. My point is I wouldn't rely too much on PayPal 'protection'.

I've sold good on Gumtree a few times to buyers who have asked for postage. I only use Bank Transfer and make that clear in e-mails, had no issues and people are surprisingly happy to part with their money. Have been a member for 3+ years though. :p

Back
Top Bottom