Using splitter to control audio as Speaker only and Speaker + Sub possible?

Associate
Hi all, just want to throw this out there and see if this is OK to do and no obvious things (safety or potentially blowing up speakers etc) that I'm missing.

So I currently have a pair of Edifier MR4's. They're great, except when very lower bass is called for (50-60hz or below), so this is why I'm looking to add a Sub to them (looking at the Presonus Sub 8BT at the moment).

They (MR4) do not have Sub Outputs, which is why I'm looking at this potential solution so I can connect a Sub when I grab one and can switch between:-

Speaker only (when at night and I can control the sound level without issue with the sub blasting out the booming bass)
Line Out (PC) to RCA LR cable -> (RCA Input) Splitter (RCA Output 1) -> RCA LR to Edifier MR4 RCA inputs

and (when using a manual switch on the splitter)

Sub + Speaker (when I want full range, or as close as I can get to it)
Line Out (PC) to RCA LR cable -> (RCA Input) Splitter (RCA Output 2) -> RCA LR to Presonus Sub 8 RCA inputs -> TRS output from Presonus Sub 8 to TRS Input Edifier MR4

My thinking is with a splitter switch like the PROZOR RCA Audio Switcher, I might be able to select whether I use the Edifier MR4's only (such as at night) and able to control the volume easily on Speaker Volume dial, or on this Switcher. And when I want, just click and switch over from one output to another on the device that will then go via the Sub which then low pass filters the signal and outputs the remaining signal back over to the Edifier MR4's, giving me Sub + Speaker for a fuller range sound.

I did initially start by looking at grabbing a proper Audio Interface like Focusrite, but looking at it, you can't select a particular output only (at least I don't think I see such an option on the lower end ones). So I looked at the splitter route instead.

Is there any issues anyone can see with me using this approach? Or a better way to go about this? (Other than spending a lot of money on decent higher end equipment that is :D)

Thanks all for any help and suggestions. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, I've put that down as a possible option to go down.

Still looking over options so if anyone has any alternatives, ideas, suggestions or comments on the original idea I posted, feel free to add them. :)

Back
Top Bottom