Vanilla giftcard/mastercard issue - wanting personal details

Soldato
I've been having an issue with a gifted £50 Mastercard Vanilla giftcard (no chip and pin, no contactless, just old-fashioned swiping) for a while and the background is as follows:

1. I have tried to use one gifted to me in Tesco supermarkets and TK Maxx, and nowhere would accept them, despite trying to get their tills to accept it. I thought I would use it online instead, but to do that it needs registering, but their registration portal has been down forever, apparently for planned maintenance. https://www.myvanillagiftcard.com/

2. As advised on a few websites, I've tried topping up my Amazon account, doing purchases, under £40 but none have worked.

3. The company has 600 reviews and 90% 1*, with loads wanting to give zero. There are a lot of news articles for these cards being hacked, albeit in the US, as recent as January.

4. I tried to use it in a large Sainsburys around 2 weeks ago, and the card was not accepted again. The super helpful cashier at the customer service desk phoned Vanilla to speak to an agent. It took a while but they told him that apparently there was a block on the card which was why I couldn't use it. The agent didn't know why and would go find out with another team. The agent asked to speak to me, and took my phone number and email address. I received a phone call, and subsequent email last week to say that they could refund me £50 to my bank account, but no explanation as to the reason for the block. To refund the £50, they need me to send them a copy of my bank statement and proof of identification by email or post. I asked whether this applied to me as recipient of the gift card, and not the purchaser, and they said yes. I asked about just getting another gift card posted, but they couldn't do this, for reasons unknown to me.

Bank Transfer – Once requested, this would be sent to the bank account within 30 days. To ensure we are sending the bank transfer to the correct bank account, we would require either a PDF copy of your bank statement emailed to us or a copy of a bank statement posted to us at: Customer Services, PO Box 3883, Swindon SN3 9EA; we would recommend emailing us a PDF of your bank statement, as there may be delays when documents are sent through the post. Please note that the bank statement needs to be dated within the last 3 months. It also must displaying your full name, address, sort code and account number. Along with your bank statement, we also require one form of identification from the list below.
  • Documents must show the same personal details you used when you applied for your card i.e. name, address and date of birth
  • Documents must show the full document and be clearly readable
  • Your passport, driving licence or national ID card must be within the expiry date
  • Utility bills, bank statements or benefit letters must confirm your name & address and be dated within the last 3 months
  • Letters from your employer must be on headed paper, confirm you work for them and must also confirm your address.
  • If you’re under 18 and can’t provide any items from list B, you can send us a photocopy of your passport along with an item from list B in your parent or guardian’s name

I may be cynical in my middle age, but this all seems too easy, and I am very suspicious of simply getting money back for sending these personal details. What risk do I open myself to, giving them the above?

Last edited:
Your concerns are valid but it's standard procedure for money laundering purposes due to bad actors so either bite the bullet or be content not getting your money back. Redact all the sensitive info such as bank details, passport numbers, dl numbers, etc and just keep the address, photo and in there - plaster a big watermark on there as well.
Good idea; I can use the pdf editor on my work laptop to add a watermark and edit out anything they don't need. I also have a backup bank account with almost nothing in it, I could probably generate a statement for.

Back
Top Bottom