Vaping

Soldato
My mate had a recent heart attack and the doctor told him to stop smoking cigarettes and start vaping as that is much better for him.

Only 4 ingredients, water, nicotine and 2 others I can't remember

Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Nicotine and whatever unregulated ingredients are in the flavouring. Not sure where tf you got "water" from.

Soldato
Tbf I know plenty of runners who smoke and don’t seem to be affected by it. Granted none of them are near 40 a day or close. Mostly casual smokers like myself who might have 4/5 max a day.

I’ve previously cycled at this level of smoking with no issue. Strangely there’s nothing I love more than a cig after exercising.

You should try one after swimming such a unique taste.

Soldato
I hope he doesn't vape while he's got his oxygen on?
Because of smoking my Mum is on oxygen 24/7 with a less than 20% lung capacity.

He's not on oxygen yet thanks to switching from smoking to vaping. His lung capacity is currently down to around 30%, so unfortunately he isn't far off.

Soldato
Vaping was a successful five year journey for me. I began five years ago but was still smoking cigarettes on nights out with alcohol. On the whole I think my nicotine consumption increased but my cigarette consumption reduced. As I reduced going out, so I reduced cigarettes more and more, until around 20 months ago I'd had the same pack of cigarettes for a few weeks.

I decided to stop as I'd come that far. I had to persuade the NHS no smoking clinic to let me go on the program (Champix - awful stuff but effective) as my CO count showed as low as a non-smoker. But there we go - 20 months later and nicotine free. I don't think the journey would have been as easy or possible without vaping supporting it.

Soldato
Vaping was a successful five year journey for me. I began five years ago but was still smoking cigarettes on nights out with alcohol. On the whole I think my nicotine consumption increased but my cigarette consumption reduced. As I reduced going out, so I reduced cigarettes more and more, until around 20 months ago I'd had the same pack of cigarettes for a few weeks.

I decided to stop as I'd come that far. I had to persuade the NHS no smoking clinic to let me go on the program (Champix - awful stuff but effective) as my CO count showed as low as a non-smoker. But there we go - 20 months later and nicotine free. I don't think the journey would have been as easy or possible without vaping supporting it.

Well done and props for stopping

Soldato
And a relevant story popped up on the news

'First vape death in the US' recorded in Illinois

A patient has died after developing a severe respiratory disease due to vaping in the first such death in the US, say health officials.

The US state of Illinois' health agency said the unnamed patient was between 17 and 38 years old.

It comes amid an outbreak of lung disease across the US that officials have linked to use of e-cigarettes.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said nearly 200 people have fallen ill from vaping nationwide.

Soldato
I saw that, hard to say the specific cause.

Dodgy supplies? What were they vaping? Was it to do with a possible cannabis vape and that if so how was that created?

Seems a bit vague.

I mean vape on liquidised arsenic and it ain't gonna be good for you.

You do realize when most people vape cannabis, they are vaping the plant material, not some man made substance....

Soldato
I saw that, hard to say the specific cause.

Dodgy supplies? What were they vaping? Was it to do with a possible cannabis vape and that if so how was that created?

Seems a bit vague.

I mean vape on liquidised arsenic and it ain't gonna be good for you.

Isn't that the point the CDC is making?

"Vaping exposes users to many different substances for which we have little information about related harms - including flavourings, nicotine, cannabinoids and solvents."

I don't think it takes a massive leap of imagination to picture a scandal in years to come with sick people pulling sad faces above captions like "we thought vaping was completely safe". They'll be as successful with their compensation claims as those who have fought the big tobacco companies - the very same companies now behind vaping products.

Soldato
Isn't that the point the CDC is making?
I was merely agreeing.

The headline grabbing nature reporting on one State's opinion, yeah, not a fan. If the CDC investigate and find something of substance, that'll be interesting.

Edit: tbh health problems in vapours who previously smoked i imagine would be hard to pin down, who knows what damage, susceptibilities or not were caused by years of smoking.

Last edited:
Soldato
True.

I can't say i have any idea how many people would fit into that category. I imagine there'd be enough for a decent sample size but really have no idea.

My gut feeling is that there's quite a lot; given the age of the people I see vaping, even if they are ex smokers then they can't have been smokers for very long. It'll take years for a proper study to find any results of value. By that time, the money will have been made and the next iteration of a "completely safe" form of the drug will be in circulation.

There are people where I work using products like Snus and chewing tobacco. At the end of the day, these are all forms of the same thing; ingesting drugs and chemicals. It's obviously not healthy, but unfortunately our society craves "evidence" no matter how obvious it is.

Soldato
My gut feeling is that there's quite a lot; given the age of the people I see vaping, even if they are ex smokers then they can't have been smokers for very long. It'll take years for a proper study to find any results of value. By that time, the money will have been made and the next iteration of a "completely safe" form of the drug will be in circulation.

There are people where I work using products like Snus and chewing tobacco. At the end of the day, these are all forms of the same thing; ingesting drugs and chemicals. It's obviously not healthy, but unfortunately our society craves "evidence" no matter how obvious it is.
I guess it boils down to the risk/reward decisions people make hence why alcohol is so popular no matter the health implications.

Back
Top Bottom