VARcical Decision

Or maybe the PL should be paying them more? So they don’t have to be flying out to ref games in the Middle East.
How much should they be getting paid? I believe I read (in relation to stories about the Saudi's trying to poach them) that they earn £200k + a fee per match. I don't know for certain but I'd be amazed if PL refs aren't the highest paid officials in world football already. Paying them even more because they're taking part time gigs in the Middle East is a dangerous road to go down.

Gallagher already on the defensive on Clown Watch.
No idea how anyone can be defensive about it.

It is undisputable that something went wrong, either in competency or in technology or in procedures. Theres just no denying it.

It is equally undisputable that whatever went wrong needs to change, it is not a Liverpool thing, its a football thing. This stuff simply should not be happening to ANY team.

This is no longer a discussion about what Liverpool do, or what the impact of this match will be on the season, whats done is done, there is no way to change what happened, what there is though is the requirement to look at every possible avenue to make sure that this doesnt happen again to whichever team. The time for excuses and explanations is over, the time for preventing it happening again is here.

Are there any legal routes Liverpool can take, could they try and sue the PGMOL somehow? I suspect not...

It's an outrageous decision and every aspect of VAR needs looking at now. It's a major weekly distraction. At least before VAR you could have some sympathy with referees as they can't see everything.

The decision, as bad as it was, is less of an issue than the mistakes happen, move on line they’ve come out with. How will they stop it happening again? Where’s the audio? Should all audio be made public after matches? Gallagher’s basically toeing the same line, move on and forget about it.

Last edited:
How much should they be getting paid? I believe I read (in relation to stories about the Saudi's trying to poach them) that they earn £200k + a fee per match. I don't know for certain but I'd be amazed if PL refs aren't the highest paid officials in world football already. Paying them even more because they're taking part time gigs in the Middle East is a dangerous road to go down.
Premier league refs on £200k a match?

Are you talking in the prem or Saudi?

I think very few are on £200k. Most earn a lot less than that. The match fee is £1,500
I couldn't tell you how many are earning the top tier salary, I was just going off a report over the weekend when stories came out about the Saudi's wanting them. Even if most are only getting half that amount, once you factor in their match fees they'll be pocketing well in excess of £100k per year which I'm sure is the most in world football. You still have a lot of European officials, and ones selected by UEFA to officiate in the CL, that still have full time jobs outside of football.

Are they going to release the audio? How come in other sports we can hear everything clear and concise, real time Comms between officials. However with the EPL everything is behind closed doors till they deem it ok to review or show?

Why do the analysts/commentators see everything during a game before the spectators do? It's so secretive that just opens the door for all the conspiracy theory guys. It's just not good enough for a multi billion pound industry.

With regards to the officials flying out to other leagues, do they do it because wages are not high enough in the EPL?

I'm sure FIFA (or the global refereeing body?) prevent VAR audio being made available in real time. The PGMOL's hands are tied in that respect.

True but if you end up losing refs to there like we are with the aging footballers it maybe become an issue.

Clattenberg was one of the best refs and he left.

Theyre getting dogs abuse at the moment - whether that’s right or wrong everyone can make their own call on that - I’d be tempted to go get a good gig over there if they where offering the same or higher money and it’s likely going to be tax free as well.

We all moan about the refs here but they’re pretty good over all really. I’d absolutely hate it if we had say Spanish refs here who blow and stop the game for every single bloody thing and issue yellow card for everything.

who makes the decision to only show a still on the VAR monitor?? or in fact a very slow slo-mo.. almost any tackle viewed in ultra slow mo can look really bad..

I'm not saying the Jones tackle was not a red.. but given lots of ex-football players were saying it's not.. i'd take their opinion over most others..

Jota was stupid to attempt a challenge once he was already booked, even if the first booking was ridiculous.

on the Jota one.. completely this.. ^^^

Last edited:
My team are currently in the Championship, so no VAR, tbh is quite refreshing.

Personally, I'd like to see more transparency and accountability with the ref's, having them interviewed after the matches like the players and managers would be a start.

Why should they be allowed to constantly make mistakes and just walk away with no consequences.

Who actually voted or turned down the automated offside system? Was it the refs or clubs?

Just seems baffling since it work so well in the World Cup.

who makes the decision to only show a still on the VAR monitor?? or in fact a very slow slo-mo.. almost any tackle viewed in ultra slow mo can look really bad..

I'm not saying the Jones tackle was not a red.. but given lots of ex-football players were saying it's not.. i'd take their opinion over most others..

on the Jota one.. completely this.. ^^^
They are supposed to initially see it in real time, obviously at the weekend he started with a still and slow mo.

Back
Top Bottom