Vega 64 overheating when "high" fps

Associate
OP
Well I just tried that exactly as you laid out. Turned on the game (case open) and it shut down as soon as I loaded it, without even having time to heat up. My Radeon panel shut itself down as well.

So I've tried +50% and game works fine.

https://imgur.com/a/1WQikLv

Still so hot. I guess the next test is to see if it's ok with the panel on now and close it up?

I also just received this from Seasonic:

"Based on your serial number, your PSU has been manufactured in November 2018 and shouldn't have any issue with Vega. However, please note two things:
  1. For Vega 64, minimum requirement is 750W as per AMD recommendations.
  2. Make sure to use 2 different PCIe cables to power it and not only a single one."

Pet Northerner
Don
@Chezdon

Now try upping the fan curve to give you a bit more fan eariler on and maybe up the max fan speeds a little - remmeber my screenshots work for me (I have a different case and V64)

use HWinfo for the next screenshot please - I want to see the hotspot after playign games

Associate
OP
https://imgur.com/a/phwh7LJ

Certainly a lot cooler. Noisy as hell now lol. This is case open still.

I'll try it with the case closed.

Slightly concerned about Seasonic's response though. Also looks like I only have one PCIe cable attached from GPU to PSU and not two as they suggest.

Soldato
I also just received this from Seasonic:

"Based on your serial number, your PSU has been manufactured in November 2018 and shouldn't have any issue with Vega. However, please note two things:
  1. For Vega 64, minimum requirement is 750W as per AMD recommendations.
  2. Make sure to use 2 different PCIe cables to power it and not only a single one."
A Seasonic 650W gold is fine for the Vega 64 - but I would still apply option 2 along with your extra cooling if results are pointing that way - although your initial reported temps are within limits - but may not be accurate as you seem to be getting better results with side case off. (2 independent cables is an easy possible fix - even a possible secondary fix - to eliminate. You may have temps and power delivery issues.).

Do you have 2 independent cables going into the card? (Below for ref )

Is the card connected with 2 independent leads from the PSU (i.e not daisy chained from the same lead)?

You have a decent PSU - but ideally the Vega 64 would be powered by 2 individual cables with the spare/redundant connector on each lead neatly zip tied. This can eliminate stability issues 'if' this is the issue as the Vega 64 can have stability issues, when using a singe cable.

Last edited:
Pet Northerner
Don
regarding the PSU cable - only worry if the system keeps crashing - if it doesn't then don't worry too much about it. My superflower only has the one cable and it's been fine for years!

In terms of the fan - it's not a game of trying to lower the fan speeds (for noise) but keeping them high enough to enjoy the cooling.

Try lowering the power slider to +25% to see if the system stays stable there - because if it works it's less power into the card and therefore less heat.

Associate
I wouldn't touch the tuning side of things until you have the fundamental issue sorted. You should not be getting load related crashes on default settings.

Associate
OP
Ok I'll keep messing around with the slider.

https://imgur.com/a/F8KqOHj

Here are closed case temps. I had the game up for 5 mins and no crash, which is a record so far. It does sound like it's about to take off though and I'm not sure my flatmate will put up with it (nor I tbh).

Regarding the PSU - from what I can tell:

Looks like one cable (one going in on itself?).

Associate
The temperatures in that screenshot are nothing to be concerned about. I am not convinced it is a thermal issue because it is straight up crashing, not throttling as would be expected. None of those temperatures are reaching the point where Vega will throttle.

For a card that can consume a lot of power using two separate PCIe cables is recommended. Try that as Seasonic have recommended. I would also test without any custom profile applied. It should work fine in the default configuration. Undervolting and reducing power limits may simply mask the actual issue.

Soldato
Looks like one cable (one going in on itself?).
Really, recommend two individual cables - as it's a simple thing to eliminate.

Some cards/PSU will run fine with a singular cable but there's more than enough evidence to show that some combos suffer with a daisy chain config. I've been on a few threads where the simple addition of 2 individual cables has fixed BSOD/freezing (obviously no guarantee it will fix yours).

You may have temp problems - but as mentioned it's ideal to rule out all possibilities especially basic recommended running setup.

Associate
OP
what is the fan situation with your case? How many fans have you got, where are they and do they push air out or pull in?

https://imgur.com/a/3tQTDoM

Got one pathetic one at the top left there. Pushing air out the back. Then the cooler on the processor I believe next to it on the right (next to the RAM). Then just the three on the Vega underneath.

The temperatures in that screenshot are nothing to be concerned about. I am not convinced it is a thermal issue because it is straight up crashing, not throttling as would be expected. None of those temperatures are reaching the point where Vega will throttle.

For a card that can consume a lot of power using two separate PCIe cables is recommended. Try that as Seasonic have recommended. I would also test without any custom profile applied. It should work fine in the default configuration. Undervolting and reducing power limits may simply mask the actual issue.

Right ok that makes sense.

Really, recommend two individual cables - as it's a simple thing to eliminate.

Some cards/PSU will run fine with a singular cable but there's more than enough evidence to show that some combos suffer with a daisy chain config. I've been on a few threads where the simple addition of 2 individual cables has fixed BSOD/freezing (obviously no guarantee it will fix yours).

You may have temp problems - but as mentioned it's ideal to rule out all possibilities especially basic recommended running setup.

Ok I'll get another PCIe cable then. Do you guys have any recommendation of a particular one? Then I'll revert back to Auto Tuning with the two cables to see if that doesn't anything and if not, rule that out.

I'll have a look around for some tutorials on how to do that - as I've said, I'm really quite apprehensive about fiddling around with all the wires in there.

Soldato
Ok I'll get another PCIe cable then. Do you guys have any recommendation of a particular one? Then I'll revert back to Auto Tuning with the two cables to see if that doesn't anything and if not, rule that out.

I'll have a look around for some tutorials on how to do that - as I've said, I'm really quite apprehensive about fiddling around with all the wires in there.
Your Seasonic PSU will have come with 3? cables - check the box.

If it was pre-built the company should have added any spare cables in the box. If not - email them.

Associate
OP
Why does the PCIe have two heads on it? I can see the one that's in the machine is the same, and both heads are plugged in to the GPU. Can't even see where I'd stick this new one. There's definitely space on the PSU where you've outlined.

Ok did some reading, I'll take the daisy chain out and put the second cable in. Turning off and will report back. Thanks for your help thus far, gentlemen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok did some reading, I'll take the daisy chain out and put the second cable in. Turning off and will report back. Thanks for your help thus far, gentlemen.
Was writing instructions - but thanks to refresh, you've worked it out.

It's straight forward - hardest part maybe taking out the existing cable from the GPU. Be sure to hold GPU securely/straight while pulling out the daisy chained lead.

Back
Top Bottom